Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

VBAC or scheduled c-section

I am pregnant with my second child. I love my doctor, but he doesn't perform VBACs. I wanted to try for a vaginal birth, but I don't want to switch my doctor. My first pregnancy ended in a c-section after my DDs heartrate dropped and wouldn't come back up. What would you do? Switch doctors even though you love and trust your doctor completely or stay with him and go for another c-section.

Answer Question
 
kaylan010

Asked by kaylan010 at 10:01 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

Level 20 (8,682 Credits)
Answers (13)
  • yeah. if you want a vbac find someone who will. its stupid that he wont. it sounds like he wants the extra bucks for the c section.
    cassie_m

    Answer by cassie_m at 10:04 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • It it's been more than 3 years since your last birth then VBAC. If you want another baby then VBAC.

    Gailll

    Answer by Gailll at 10:04 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • I probably would o for a VBAC... are there other practitioners in his office that will? Did he mention why he wouldn't do a VBAC? Oh and how far along are you? Some Drs. won't take new patients after a certain time...
    June_Mama09

    Answer by June_Mama09 at 10:06 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • I'm only 5 weeks, so I'm getting ahead of myself. He doesn't work with a group, it's just him. However, there are other doctors in my city that will.
    kaylan010

    Comment by kaylan010 (original poster) at 10:08 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • um, i think that is pretty stupid that he doesn't do VBAC's....it's your decision, not his. i would switch.
    xtwilightx

    Answer by xtwilightx at 10:09 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • I would get another doctor especially if you are only 5 weeks along and you want a Vbac. I had my son c-section because of complications. When my daughter came along, my doctor and I agreed to try for a Vbac. Considering the complications I had with my son, we decided to shoot for birth 2 weeks early as long as everything looked good with the baby and myself. This was no problem considering she wanted to come 3 1/2 weeks early and I had to go on bed rest for a week then the doctor said that we would go for it. I went home and started cleaning and was back to the hospital within 6 hours and had a wonderful experience giving birth. I wouldn't have traded it for anything. And my daughter is a very happy and healthy young lady now at the age of 15.
    marchar2002

    Answer by marchar2002 at 10:12 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • How long has it been since your last baby? THAT is the KEY.....even if you go to another dr. you have to look at the risk factors of why your DD's heart rate dropped. Was it the cord or something else? How big was she at birth? What type of incision do you have and where is it located? My original incision is about 1.5 inches lower than my other incisions. If your heart is set on trying for a VBAC, talk about all the risks and know that you still might have a c-section. There is alot to be considered, not trying to discourage you and i appologize if I am, but there really is alot to think about and alot that can go wrong if it isn't the best circumstances possible.
    HTMommy

    Answer by HTMommy at 10:15 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • The cord was wrapped around her neck twice. I had her 14 months ago and she weighed 8lbs 7.5 oz. My incision is about 5 inches long on my bikini line.
    kaylan010

    Comment by kaylan010 (original poster) at 10:17 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • A VBAC is always better. A doctor ca NOT force a c-section on you. It is your decision and if you want a vaginal, especially when you didn't have a valid reason for a c-section, then you should find another doctor. C-sections are dangerous. I don't understand why you would trust a doctor who doesn't do a safe procedure considering repeat c-sections are more dangerous than a VBAC.
    SaraP1989

    Answer by SaraP1989 at 10:20 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • definitely do a VBAC. I tried with my dd, although i had her in a military hospital. my midwife (which is what they give everyone except the high risk women, they actually get doctors) was all for a vbac, and i was actually due while she was the one on call. unfortunately, my dd decided to be a week late, she came the day after my midwife was on call, so i got another woman. i was progressing slowly, we had decided with my original doctor to induce me if this happened, but the stupid doctor i had didn't practice that. when she said she wanted to do a c section, she scared me into it now that i actually look back. i didn't know i couldn't get an infection until 24hrs after my water broke, i'd been in labor for 6hrs and she said i could. i bawled my eyes out on the way in, also when i awoke. i wanted the experience of actually pushing my baby out. they had to put me to sleep so i didn't even get to hear her first cry.
    armywife43

    Answer by armywife43 at 10:22 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN