Explosions in the Diaper... adult content

Lately my 13 month old has been having explosive diarrhea and Im not sure whats causing it. He had two explosions within an hour and a half today, one went all over his clothes and car seat...We havent fed him anything different. He's been on whole milk for about 2 months now and has done well with it. I have no idea what this is from! HELP! He's also got a wicked diaper rash and its kinda freaking me out.

Aqua_Jen

Asked by Aqua_Jen at 10:18 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• it's probably a stomach bug. I'd give him tons of fluids, pediasure, that kinda thing. diarrhea is really dehydrating. and I'd take him to the dr toomorrow to make sure it's nothing serious.
    catharsis

Answer by catharsis at 10:19 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Maybe it's just a stomach virus, or just an upset stomach. Is it really hot where you are? I noticed on hot days certain things don't agree w/ me and I get an upset stomach w/ diarrhea.
    I would just make sure he gets lots of clear liquids, and take him to the docs if he gets a fever or any other symptoms. More than likely it will pass in a day or two.
    cuteasabutton78

Answer by cuteasabutton78 at 10:21 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• He could be lactose intollerant.... both my boys are, we didnt even find out until my oldest was one and we switched him to regular milk... about a month into it he was always sick and never wanted to eat.. had gross diapers and would throw up alot.. we switched his milk to the "lactade" and he was amazing after that
    momaholly

Answer by momaholly at 10:22 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I have a dr's appt tomorrow so I'll take him with me and have him checked out too. Thanks!
    Aqua_Jen

Comment by Aqua_Jen (original poster) at 10:23 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Probably just a bug. Pediasure and fluids. If you pinch a little bit of skin on his hand and it doesn't stick together for any amount of time, he isn't dehydrated. Butt Paste is awesome for diaper rash. I found it at Walmart. Hope he feels better soon.
    van5

Answer by van5 at 10:24 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• How long is lately? Has it been 2 days? A week? According to a nurse practitioner I talked to today there is some stomach thing going around (when is there not though?) It could be as simple as a bug or it could be a food sensitivity. Sometimes what they handle well today will cause a reaction tomorrow. Definitely keep him drinking and check with the doc just to see what they recommend. Hope he feels better soon.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 10:24 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• How "lately"? Like just the last few days or longer than that? If its just been the last few days its probably a virus. He's old enough to have some immunity built up so he may not get totally laid out by it. If its been longer than that, he very may well have developed a new food sensativity/allergy. You might try adding some acidopholis in his diet. You can buy it back at the pharmacy counter in little packets and just sprinkle it on his food. And one more thing... I doubt this is what is... but just to be on the safe side.... google celiacs. Sometimes it takes a while to show up because it slowly damages the intestines.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 10:27 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Oh you poor thing....welcome to the world of stomach bugs! there's a summer virus going around, if the diaper rash gets really bad start wiping him with either a wet soft washcloth like the infant ones or soft paper towels Viva are my favorite for this reason they don't shed paper bits and they don't scratch, but besides that water doesn't burn, even the sensitive baby wipes burn, and change him ASAP, the acid in the diarrhea will burn his skin and he'll start to have open sores, I know it sounds horrible I deal with it too often to count. Also don't use baby powder bc it will cake to the sores and might cause infection, you can try to use a butt cream but it might burn, vaseline or petrolium jelly will block anything out and help his tush heal....good luck I know it sucks
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 10:50 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• i give my boys acidopholis as well.. it eally does help alot
    momaholly

Answer by momaholly at 11:17 PM on Aug. 30, 2010