Okay, really. How do I get him to stay in bed?

Geez. This is my 3rd child... if he was 1st I would only have one. He is almost 2.5. he did fine in his big boy bed for the first few weeks. Then he discovered that he could get out of it, and open the door. We spend HOURS every night putting him back down. I am not spanking him, because he wants attention, I just put him back in bed and walk out. He gets up- over and over and over. This worked with 1 and 2. We are ending 3 weeks of this one getting up constantly. And waking up at 6:30 am. not horrible if he's going to bed at 730 or 8, but he's not.
we've even reduced his nap to 1.5hrs (it was 3 hrs). He was nodding off at dinner tonight. We put him in bed at 8 and he gets a second wind.
HELP! Sorry to sound so negative, I have 3 so I am assuming this will eventually pass as all of these things do- but the quicker the better ; )

pat7879

Asked by pat7879 at 10:26 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sorry momma! You are doing all the right things though! It's frustrating. My 3 year old still finds it funny to get up at 4 am and take food out of the fridge, let the dogs out, and throw our toothbrushes in the toilet. Baby gate doesn't work. I do however have a bird that squaks if she sees him walking around so at least I wake up when it happens now!lol
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:29 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• aw momma! I feel your pain! You are doing it right though, I know it's tough, but hang tight. You could try leaving his door open with a baby gate in it, then close the door. That way he can still open the door like a big boy but he can't get out. I wish you the best of luck, and hang in there. It will get better.
    candle5

Answer by candle5 at 10:31 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I guessing you do, but do you have one of those anti-door knob turny things? That slowed my son up for a couple of weeks. A mom told me to try one of those alarm things that go on top of door. That worked for her. Scared the poor kid so much he stayed put. Good luck momma
    van5

Answer by van5 at 10:33 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• is his door closed? i put my kids down a few minutes earlier than actual bedtime, their doors stay closed. since ds is 3, he gets to watch a movie while laying in bed. dd isn't quite there yet...but before ds had his tv, and what i do with dd now, is i put them in bed, tuck them in, and they have a small toy box in their room, where they can get up and play QUIETLY. if they're too loud, I go in there and put them in bed. if they're too loud 3times i take the toys out of their room. at first they'd play, then cry for me when they got tired. so i'd go in there and lay them down, they'd be out like a light. eventually they figured it out and after they're done playing, they put themselves to bed. it doesn't hurt anything, and they're normally asleep if not right at their bedtime, then it's a little after. never too late. we're in the process of moving right now, so everything's a bit haywire, i hope it goes back to normal soon!
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:34 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• i was going to say use the super nanny trick but it sounds like you are already doing that... the only thing that she says that's different from what you are doing is that the parent actually sits on the floor in the dark without making any eye contact with the child and just keep putting them back in bed as soon as they get up... and you just keep doing that until they finally get it.
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:36 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• It sounds like you are doing all you can do . At this age almost everything is a phase that wil come and go. Is it possible he does not like the dark ? Can you put a night light in his room if he doesn't have one.

My son would do the same thing and I finally caved I put a box of crayons and coloring book next to his bed to keep him in it if he woke up. He'd be really tired and cranky during the day so I wouldn't let him go play with his friends because he was mean when he was grumpy. I would explain to him it's his lack of sleep that makes him this way.

All you can do is just be patient, keep putting him back in bed. Try different things maybe he wakes up because he's not in a deep sleep, his room could be too warm or too cold, his blankets could itch him or he needs another pillow.

How often do we wake up during the night if something bothers us or makes us uncomfy while we sleep?
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 10:39 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I have no answer because my son is doing the same thing!! The only thinkg saving our sanity is the fact that it is super humid here right now so he can't open his door because the wood expanded a little. Thank god for doors that stick a little!!
    Liz0808

Answer by Liz0808 at 11:23 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• keep putting him back in there everytime he gets out
    3xangel

Answer by 3xangel at 11:23 PM on Aug. 30, 2010