poop jail??? cold shower???

what is poop jail? i have heard people mention it but i dont know if its something i should try. my son has been pee trained for over a month, hes young though, 21 months. he poops on the potty maybe 25 percent the time. i have heard that i could put him in the shower with cold water to wash him off after he goes in his underwear. is he too young for that though? i just want to get over this hump. if i introduce a new way to poop in the potty he goes right away though, we have 2 different potty seats that he has used this week, but after using them once he wont go again. please, any help or suggestions would be great.

sweetjpea

Asked by sweetjpea at 10:34 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have never heard of this. I have no clue but here's a bump. I'm curious to find out about this, since my son is having a hard time.
    candle5

Answer by candle5 at 10:36 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Ped told me to do it with my daughter....didn't work. And yeah, he's a little young yet. It's great he's using the potty for pee so well!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:37 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I would avoid any type of punishment in potty training. When they are ready, having to feel it in their diaper/pants is really deterring enough. Plus w/ yours being so young, I don think these extremes are even close to necessary.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 10:40 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Uhm, I don't believe shock treatment is a good idea at any age, aka the cold shower. Especially at his age....Props for getting him halfway there at SUCH a young age. My middle son would NOT go poop at home but EVERYWHERE else was fair game. He was in pull ups but before my 3rd was born I told him no more pullups and that was that. I asked on another forum some suggestions and one mom said she made her son clean himself (with her supervision) and he said "Wow mom this is gross" and she said "yea that what I have to deal with all the time" and he never went in his undies again. It takes a little while and its not an overnight thing, but positive reinforcement help and the fact that he goes 25% of the time is better than nothing. Bribe him with a chart and stickers and when he goes enough reward him with something. good luck!
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 10:40 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• i would just keep telling him that he should poop in the potty, hes young and your lucky that he pees on the potty.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 10:40 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• And also, he may not even be able to tell when he has to poop, it may just be that he feels it coming out that 25% of the time he goes on the potty, he may still be developmentally too young yet to understand his bowel movements.
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 10:42 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I would NEVER od that to one of my kids! Both my girls were totally potty trained by 18 months. My twin boys, on the other hand...they got the peeing thing down by 2 1/2. But, pooping took quite a bit longer. Boys naturally take longer than girls. Patience and consistency is the key to success. He will get the hang of it in due time.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 10:42 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• thank you all. i also felt like he would be too young for any of that but wanted to make sure. i have tried many rewards, he gets bored. for a while giving him a new hot wheel used to do the trick, but now he has so many cars i think he could care less haha. we will keep at it. :)
    sweetjpea

Comment by sweetjpea (original poster) at 10:47 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• That just sounds awful, he'll be fully trained when he is ready. My first was peeing in the potty at 18 months but wasn't fully trained until 2.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 10:48 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Just keep at it, I started my daughter as soon as she could walk and I skipped the pull ups completely my fiance and I went strait to big girl underwear and just dealt with the accidents by bringing extra clothes, when she went in her pants she would cry and say she feels yucky so we would clean her up, sit her on the potty for a min and then put fresh clothes on her. eventually she just started doing really good.
    MOMMY_TO_TWO

Answer by MOMMY_TO_TWO at 11:44 PM on Aug. 30, 2010