When you got your Mirena IUD placed did the doc tell you to check for the strings every so often?

The midwife that placed it told me to do a monthly feel check for the strings.
There was one time when I was in pain for 3 days and I checked for stings and couldn't find them, when I visited a doctor he yelled at me for even checking...
Do you check for the strings?

cuteasabutton78

Asked by cuteasabutton78 at 10:37 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Health

• yes your supposed to. the iud can imbed itself into your uterus or even go all the way through. my doc said to check once a month and if i couldnt find them to call immediatly.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 10:39 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• My midwife told me to check also. So every once in while I do. I check during my period (I know gross) but your cervix drops and its easier to check for the strings as they are not that long. Um, you could ask SO. My DH a couple times after sex asked me about it because he didn't feel them. I guess he usually could. I know TMI but you asked.
    van5

Answer by van5 at 10:41 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I don't even get my period while having the mirena. I know when it was first placed my dh said he could feel the strings and they hurt him while having sex but after a month or so they softened up and he forgot I even had it.
    cuteasabutton78

Comment by cuteasabutton78 (original poster) at 10:49 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I have had my MIRENA for 4years now and never had to check the strings... I just had my yearly and she checked my IUD and said everything looks great. The string is so far up your uterus how the hell do you put your hand that high? Sounds painful and not comfortable at all...never heard of that.
    TSSN88

Answer by TSSN88 at 10:57 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• TSSN88, it's reachable by fingers. Atleast mine is, I can feel the threads hanging out of my cervix. Really no big deal.
    cuteasabutton78

Comment by cuteasabutton78 (original poster) at 11:25 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Yes I was told to check monthly I use my middle finger and push lol Even if you don't bleed you still have a cycle you can usually tell by increased discharge (if you have discharge like I did) Also My husband complained cause he could feel them when we had sex.
    mommabear53

Answer by mommabear53 at 12:31 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I have had my Mirena IUD since July 2006 coming up to 5years this July and honestly I had to get the strings cut once within the first year because my DH felt it and I have never stuck my fingers and "checked" the strings my OB checks them once a year to adjust if needed which I have never had to. I have been very pleased that it has worked so well and plan on getting another 5year Mirena IUD this July.
    TSSN88

Answer by TSSN88 at 9:41 PM on Apr. 5, 2011