Does my babysitter need a raise ** edit**

I pay a woman 10 an hr cash for 47.5 hrs a week, we take 2 weeks vacation a year where we take our 2 girls ages 3.5 and 6 that she also gets paid for. If she takes time off we have to make other arrangements so we don't pay her for the hrs she is not with us. She started with us when our first was born at 9 an hr and went to 10 when our second was born. Now one DD is in all day school and one is preK 2 hrs 2x a week (though she is responsible for the children on sick/school vacation days and bringing our youngest to/from preK). Because its cash under the table there is no taxes taken nor benefits etc. Do you think this is a fair wage or should we give her her raise?
** sorry it wouldnt let me edit so I redid this question to add that she comes to our home everyday so it would be hard to compare it to daycare costs...***

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:40 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Money & Work

• In my opinion yes I think that is fair enough. If she is complaining let me come babysit your kids, lol.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 10:42 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• It's hard to answer this without knowing the rates in your area. Babysitting is very much a regional thing. Where I live, that would be a VERY good job. But I live in the boonies where people only pay $5/hour for a sitter. (We pay more.)
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 10:42 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• i think that is more than fair. your paying 5 an hour per kid. thats more than most daycares charge.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 10:43 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I think that is more than fair.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 10:44 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• If the kids are in school and she is still getting paid, that seems fair to me. Maybe in the Summer you can give her a bonus though since she is watching them more.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 12:38 PM on Aug. 31, 2010