I've been a stay at home mom

I've been a stay at home mom for my 2 year old son, I want to go back to college, how hard will it be for my son to enter a day care now? He's always been with his mommy, and we do play dates, and he's always running around with his cousins, but he's pretty bashful around adults that he doesn't know. It usually takes him about half an hour to warm up to them...

Jamie K.

Asked by Jamie K. at 10:46 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• check to see of any daycares in your area have open houses! ask the parents at the playdates if they take their child(ren) to a daycare and which one. if it's a good school, your child would also have the benefit of seeing a familiar child.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:49 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• He'll be fine. Find a good child care in your area and meet his teacher. Then go with him to play and meet the teacher. Then the next day take him in and leave for a few hours. If you have the time and money, you could start taking him for 3 or 4 hours a day before you start work and then build up.
    Shop around for a good childcare that teaches and has lots of activities. He will be so busy playing during the day he won't have time to miss you- I know, that's almost sad ; ).
    pat7879

Answer by pat7879 at 10:52 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• My kids did wonderfully. Although I put them in half day preschool only until they started kindergarten. They love learning and they love playing with other kids.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:52 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• It's tough for any age kid to start daycare. There is always an adjustement period. Your son might take longer, but who knows maybe after he sees these women every day for a few h ours a day for several weeks it won't be so bad.

Talk to the daycare, maybe you can go an hour early and sit with your son the first few days, help him learn the routine and the people. It might make it easier when you drop him off and leave.

With my son it was easier for me to just drop him off at the door and leave immediately. He'd forget about missing me and want to play with the other kids quicker. Good luck
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 11:01 PM on Aug. 30, 2010