Two years old & things have to go his way or no way, we need help!

My son is 2 &a hafe years old. My son is the only child. Me & my husband are always giving him what ever he wants or what ever he see & whines for. Now it has come to the point that if we dont give him what he wants he'll cry until he can't breath.( a loud cry like if someone is hurting him). Be quite & SHUT UP doesnt work, A tap in the mouth doesnt work. Im so scared for one day my neighbors will call the cops thinking im hurting my child. One day i was going to get the mail & my son wanted to come with, i told him no to stay with his father so he started crying & kicking the door, I left & on my way back i heard my neighbors over talking saying " MAN somtimes i want to knock on the door & tell them somthing" when they saw me they shut up & look down at the floor, like being shy cause i heard them.
Also in church he acts all wild wants everthing he see, i have to be walking out every 10 mins to shut him up.
---continued--

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:47 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My first step of advice to you is to not worry about your neighbors and what people think. To often we let our kids get away with murder for fear people will report us for being bad parents ( i was guilty of this worry)

I spoiled my son gave him everything. He started to behave similiar to how your little one acts. I finally just had to say enough is enough ! I stopped buying him things and if he threw fits I'd put him on time out as soon as we got home and made him pick one of his favorite toys to take away. He couldn't get them back until he went one full day without having temper tantrums from not getting his way.

You have to let him scream it out sometimes, if you cave every time he acts bad he'll continue to act that way because it gets him what he wants! Be strong Mama ! It took me about 5 weeks of continuous time outs, tapping on his bottom, taking away toys and down right refusals before he finally learned better
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 10:54 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• If we go out Is the same problem, i need help, When i say STOP, NO BE QUITE, i want him to listen & not laugh in my face. I need somthing that will work every where i go, time out's wont work in church or when we go out, i need something that i could use everywhere i go.
    I'm done having people looking at me & my son like we crazy when he starts crying & doesnt listen to me.

Any tips or ideas. please..
    thanks everyone!
    yamil519

Answer by yamil519 at 10:51 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• "A tap in the mouth doesn't work." What does that mean? You hit him in the mouth? You need something that will work everywhere. Wouldn't be nice if it was that easy that one thing would work all the time, everywhere.

The book Love & Limits by Elizabeth Crary has lots of great ideas.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:55 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• The other thing I had to do when he acted out in public was to take him home. I'd be in the middle of grocery shopping, at the library or the park, or church and I'd leave and take him home. He hated it and used to get so upset but I would tell him we had to leave because of his behavior.

It's tough for you to do this but it helped A LOT. I would have to go back to the grocery store later or what ever I was doing later and I'd leave him @ home when I did. He wasn't allowed back with me. It became something his good behavior had to earn him.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 10:58 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• dont scream at him! The more your son sees you pissed off and ready to blow, the more he will test your patience. If my son goes at it to the point he needs a time out, I take him to his room, close the door and have me a time out also. When I calm down and he's calmed down, I go in his room, go down to his level, repeat whatever I was trying to tell him "no bite/not hitting...etc." give him a hug and we go on with our day. This smple method has been working for us...SO FAR lol. He is also an only child, my first, so practically every day is a new challenge. If your son doesnt get what he wants, dont give in if it's something he just cant have, no questions asked. Once he sees your his mom not just his buddy, he wont freak out as much. It takes a lot of consistancy though! Be firm and stern, but loving. As for your nosy neighbors, just ignore them!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:02 PM on Aug. 30, 2010