How do I get my 9 yr old son more active?

He is absolutely driving my nuts. All he wants to do is sit and watch t.v. or play on the computer. When I tell him to turn off the t.v. he throws a fit and goes right into the kitchen and acts like he starving.
I know I shouldn't say this about my own child but he is just so lazy I can't stand it.
Today, when he came home from school he had his snack and watched some t.v. (maybe 1/2 hr) I told him to go do something else he throughs a fit and go into another room and sits, I suggested several things for him to do (bikes, playing in the woods, etc.) so then he just huffed and went to the staircase and sat- I finally just sent him to bed! This may seem extreme to some but this is be ongoing. If he's not sitting and watching t.v. or on the computer then he thinks he needs to eat. He's gaining weight and just has no energy it seems.
Should I take him to the docs?

cuteasabutton78

Asked by cuteasabutton78 at 10:47 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Does he have anyone to play with? Why don't you go outside with him and play catch, tag, hide and seek, kick a ball around. Play with him. I can fully understand him not wanting to do anything if he has no one to do it with.
    sweettigeress

Answer by sweettigeress at 10:49 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• he has neighbor friends an sister who is only 1 yr older and a toddler brother.
    My husband and I both go outside and play with the kids. Even then it's like trying to move a rock...
    cuteasabutton78

Comment by cuteasabutton78 (original poster) at 10:54 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• have you asked him what he might like to do? other than tv...
    maybe his active time could buy him computer/ tv time?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:59 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I guarantee if you can get him a 4-wheeler he won't be inside. You would want to get a very low powered one and fixit so it can't go too fast accompanied by stricct rules. Another thing is to enroll him in sports or volunteer work. Let him have friends over and make fun things for him to do . Hugs !!
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 11:02 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Ha, no 4 wheeler here! If you ask him what he wants to do, he won't give an answer- seriously. He says he doesn' t know what he wants to do. YOu can suggest so many things for a boy to do and he just has no interest in anything! He does do wrestling at school but that won't start till fall. Even when he does that he doesn't have the energy behind it.
    (We don't put him down for this, byw)
    cuteasabutton78

Comment by cuteasabutton78 (original poster) at 11:06 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I wish had some helpful advice, I have two boys and they have always been active. Are there other sports he might be willing to try? It is football season here and both my boys play. Then its on to wrestling, then track, then baseball, then football...we rarely get a break. Or if you live close to a YMCA or Youth Center, maybe there are some activities there for him after school, or wrestling clubs he could join in the off season? How about planning a couple days after school when he can have his friends come over, make snacks and have them play football outside? My boys get lazy too, especially on weekends they will sleep until noon watch tv until like 4 and eat everything in sight. I usually give them one down day, but during the week they have sports and chores. Good luck.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 10:42 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Take away all his sedentary-inducing items. Seriously. When he goes ballistic, explain that you told him to shag his ass outside for some exercise but he wouldn't do it so you had no choice. Let him "earn" them back one at a time by consistently getting exercise on a daily basis, and once he has an item back, impose restrictions that the item can't be used until the daily exercise has been done to your satisfaction. He wants to throw bull, let him get a taste of the horns. He will thank you when he doesn't get type II diabetes at 12.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 11:59 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• When my son throw a fit over me taking something away, I make the period of time longer--like no TV the next day then. My son learned quickly, and I only need to warn him to know off the attitude now and there will be no more complaining.
    Barabell

Answer by Barabell at 11:58 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• i was excited about school starting so my son would get some exercise, and the first week of school he fell off the swing set and broke his arm. now he cannot participate in gym or recess. we actually have given him some chores to do outside and he can earn his own money and he actually got upset with me when i did a chore for him while he was at school. we still have a long way to go but were heading in the right direction.
    hollieshobbie

Answer by hollieshobbie at 11:31 PM on Sep. 13, 2010