Too old for the crib?

DS just turned 2. How old were your kids when you transitioned them from the crib? He loves his so much I havent seen a need to change. Also anyone go straight from the crib to a twin bed? It seems like spending money on a temporary bed is just silly, but maybe not....thoughts?

new_mom808

Asked by new_mom808 at 10:48 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If he still likes the crib and isn't climbing out, I would keep him in it. I wouldn't switch until he starts climbing out, because that can be dangerous (as I'm sure you know lol). We never had a crib, just a play pen (sturdiest one I think I've ever seen in my life!) and our bed. She slept with us most of the time, but sometimes would fall asleep in her play pen. My mom has a crib that goes from crib to toddler to twin/day bed. We're about to break that one down to the toddler because she sometimes tries to climb out of it (she's almost 2). As far as when she's home, I'm going to be buying her a toddler bed soon, because some of those will last until they're in school, depending on what you get. Or, I might just do like my parent's did and buy a twin bed, but not put the rails and stuff together until she's bigger, and just put the mattress and box springs on the floor, so it's not as high. Looks bad/weird, but worked for me.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 10:52 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• oh.. and i'll add.. i think you should go straight to the twin.. like you said i'll be easier/cheaper that way.. just get the rails that go on it
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 10:50 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• if hes happy in his crib and he doesnt try to climb the rails then i dont see why you need to change it yet.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 10:52 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• We did a transition to a toddler bed before we did the twin bed, and that was once they could jump out of the crib. in my opinion i think it varies with each child
    candle5

Answer by candle5 at 10:49 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• i put my oldest in a toddler bed when she turned 2
    proudmommy690

• my son transitioned when he was 19 months old. He didnt like the confinement of the crib rails anymore so I gave a bed a try and he did great! We've never had a problem with him getting up in the middle of the night. We did have some issues with that during naptime at first. If he got up to play he usually fell asleep on the floor or on the glider chair in his room. I removed the glider and soon he started crawling in his bed when he felt tired.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:51 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• If you don't need a toddler bed, then go straight to a twin. I know someone who still has their child in a crib and they're 3. I think that's a bid too old...but whatever, it's not my child. If your son loves his crib, let him stay in it longer. It won't hurt him.
    sweettigeress

Answer by sweettigeress at 10:51 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• If the crib is working, why change it? My son sleeps with us so I don't have any first hand experience but I don't believe in having age limits for these sorts of things...you make transitions when the kid is ready.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 10:56 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• our Ped told us unless they're climbing out of the crib, the safest place is the crib even up through 3. So, if he's happy, no need to change.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 10:59 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Get this one: My almost 4 yo still sleeps in her crib! She loves it, and doesn't want her bed next to her sister. As long as she's safe in it, fits in it, then why not? It's certainly not abuse. My other 2 kiddos were in their cribs by age 2.
    huntannakay

Answer by huntannakay at 11:01 PM on Aug. 30, 2010