Does my son have autism?? Help!!

If anyone has any information or advise, or just an opinion, it would be greatly appreciated. I have b/g twins which are 16 months old. My daughter is very sharp and knows many words But my son however, we think he is starting to show signs of autism. I started to notice a few months ago that he doesn't really make eye contact. As time has been going on it is not getting any better and his speech is behind.He has been hitting all of his physical milestones just fine. He climbs like a monkey now but seems very behind socially. He will on occasion look at you but only for a split second and then becomes very distracted by whatever is around him. He can never hold eye contact and doesn't seem to interact the way he should. He does not point yet and really doesn't get jestures ( hold your hand out as a means for him to give something to you). He does smile at himself in the mirror and like t

twinsmom24-

Asked by twinsmom24- at 10:59 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• have you tried googling it? i hope you get your answers...sorry im not much help.. oh and maybe talk to the dr about it?
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 11:01 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I'd let his doctor know, they usually do test on them for autism there. It also depends how old he is. but they'll do the test at the appropriate age when they know he's not to old or to young to be diagnosed with it.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 11:07 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I was told not to worry about it but my mommy gut keeps telling me otherwise. I have googled it but have gotten so much conflicting information that i am only more worried. I guess i'm just wondering ( and hopeing) that someone else's child acted like this when they were his age and that they r okay now developmentally.
    twinsmom24-

Comment by twinsmom24- (original poster) at 11:23 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I would ask your doctor about having him evaluated.

It could be that he is a little speech delayed (my oldest had a speaking level of 12 months at 28 months, but was fine by age 6 with weekly therapy.) Or it could be the difference in development between boys and girls. Girls are often, but not always a bit more verbal and likewise with boys being more physical. I have been told that very young children tend to concentrate more on either verbal or physical, then the other catches up. The best examples being my boys: older one walked at an average age and spoke very late, never babbled. Younger one began speaking at 9 months and didn't walk until 17 months.

Your best bet is to have him tested by whatever your state's form of Early Intervention
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:26 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Your mommy gut is number one when caring for a child. If you truly think he is showing signs then i would demand testing at whatever age it is appropriate. I know girls usually are able to pick up speach faster than boys but i think the social interaction part of it would bother me. Best of luck to you, Keep us posted!
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 11:39 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• The not pointing is a pretty big red flag. Of course, girls tend to be ahead socially at that age- they are still pretty young. It wouldn't hurt to ask your pediatrician at their next check up.
    mamahobbit

Answer by mamahobbit at 1:24 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Don't ask your pediatrician! Just call early intervention yourself (you can google it for your area) and push for a developmental evaluation. I asked my ped (who was a very caring, loving dr well respected in the community) and he kept telling me "he'll talk when he's ready","boys talk later","he's obviously smart, he'll get it" - turns out my son has autism and I lost valuable time when my son should have been receiving services. Peds are notorious for putting parents concerns off.
    At the evaluation (which should be free) they will either let you know that your child has delays and offer you free/low cost developmental therapy, or tell you there are no delays and put your mind at ease.

Answer by missanc at 8:59 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• You will need to consult a developmental pediatrician for an official diagnosis. I'm seeing red flags, but not necessarily autism. Mommy guts aren't usually wrong though. I have three boys all different areas of the spectrum. Like the person above me said though, Don't wait. Push for the evaluation. I would have known when my baby was six months old that he had autism if I knew what I was looking for. Either way you rule it out or you rule it in.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 11:01 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I can't thank you all enough. I went ahead ( i though of that myself too mamahobbit) and skipped the dr and called early intervention myself. We are setting up an appointment and I wil keep everyone posted. I unfortunately already know what the answer is. Just this week he started to "run circles" around things and started blowing bubbles with his spit. This is all very new this week and i'm becoming afraid he is regressing even more. Has anyone ahd this happen and most important has anyone seen good results with their child after early intervention. Can they be completely recovered ever? at some point in time?
    twinsmom24-

Comment by twinsmom24- (original poster) at 11:30 AM on Sep. 2, 2010