My baby just turned 8 months and cannot sleep on her own thru the night!!

I breastfeed still and in order for my now 8 month old baby to sleep / stay asleep I have to give her a boob! She hates pacifiers and can't sleep in her crib for the whole night. My bed, is her bed. I've tried many times to lay her down for the night but she either wakes right up knowing i'm leaving her alone or after awhile will wake up and in order for her to fall back asleep she needs my boob!!
How on earth can I change this? :/ I need help! And has anyone else been thru this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:05 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• what about not changing this until she is ready also?? I didn't co sleep and wasn't able to BF this long however if I could have, I would still be lseeping with my son if he needed it.. I hated to give it up and they truly are only a baby once.. JMO my son is turning 3 and still has problems sleeping through the night but I think growth is so rapid is would be unrealistic to think it could happen each night..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:13 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• been there done that breast fed and shared the bed for a yr....its not all that bad, just the perception of it....why do you hate it so much? I'm not judging by any means, just curious? They only stay this little for so long, and soon she will be getting independant and not even want you then you'll miss giving her the boob lol...have you tried different pacifiers maybe its the way it feels in her mouth that she doesn't like? good luck wish you the best, but enjoy it while you can.....
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 11:15 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Going through it myself again for the forth time :) the only thing I can tell ya is just enjoy it :)
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 11:23 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Perhaps she doesn't like it because she doesn't want to go to bed as early as her baby? I go to bed HOURS after my dd goes to bed...it would suck having to go to bed at 7pm like she does!

Anyway, I don't know what to tell you, but i'll give you a bump!
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 11:24 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Well, try moving the crib out of your room. Those little suckers can smell that milk a mile away
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:01 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• My daughter is 14 months and still nurses throughout the night like a baby. Enjoy it..I sometimes wish she would just sleep through the night, and then I remember her nursing is delaying my period!!!lol
    malkamom

Answer by malkamom at 12:13 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• It's normal for children to wake at night and nurse until they are 3 years old! If you stop breastfeeding your baby may still wake at night and need to be fed. You won't have the "boob" to give for comfort.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:56 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Heck yes. Hardly know a mom who HASN"T been through this...because htis IS what babies do. She will grow into sleeping without nursing. You're expecting it a bit early.

It's one of the corollaries of Murphy's Law... She will start sleeping on her own and all night long when you've finally adjusted to never sleeping eight hours... and you'll never do eight hours unless you're sick.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:30 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I envy you twice! My youngest is 5 almost 6 months and around month 4 I got sick and my milk supply dropped- she liked bottle feeding better because she didn't have to work as hard. I miss it so much! I also cannot sleep with my children, I wake up every time they move. But I would suggest something filling for dinner like oatmeal or rice cereal and top her off with some boob and try swaddling - she might think its your arms... worth a shot.
    Amelia A.

Answer by Amelia A. at 2:55 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• This won't be a popular answer but since she is 8 months old, have you tried laying her on her tummy when you put here in her crib? It may help her feel less alone since she could 'cuddle' with the mattress. While in transition, maybe move the crib in your room so that if she does wake up you could simply soothe her without completely waking her up. Good luck!
    Lisa.Price

Answer by Lisa.Price at 7:00 AM on Aug. 31, 2010