Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

child support question

So dd just turned 18, but she is just starting her senior year of high school. Do I have to notify his work that she is still in school, or will it just continue? Im thinking that its going to stop just b/c she turned 18. Anyone have any experience with this? My ex's support is garnished...thanks


Asked by beyondhopes at 11:14 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 26 (28,237 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • I would also call your attorney if your child intends to go to college. If she is, then you can apply for what is called 'post majority child support' meaning even though they have reached the legal age of adulthood in your state, in Alabama it is 19 years, but I did the post majority c/s thing and my children's dad paid child support to me until they graduated from their college education. It is worth looking into. I would go through your attorney or the courts, do not get involved in a tit for tat with your ex, those do not go very well.


    Answer by Joeygoat at 12:08 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

  • Here in Michigan a letter is sent before the child turns 18. If said child is still in school then a form has to be filled out by the school proving that the child is attending school. It also depends on what the court order is... until the child is 18 or when the child graduates....

    Answer by bcauseimthemom at 11:17 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • I agree, you just have to wait and see what the court says.

    Answer by mamaofficer at 11:20 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • call your worker when my daughter turned 18 there was some confusion with the worker and the case and if I had not called her it would have been a nightmare for both of us...

    Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:50 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • You'll have to call the courts......not his employer, they can only follow a court order.

    Answer by colethky at 11:57 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • they may have figured it out when this all happened originally that she would be 18 and still in school....and yes if she is planning on college you should still be able to receive some sort of support for that as well

    Answer by HTMommy at 12:35 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

  • Yeah, thats what the court order says, "till she turns 18 or graduates", but I havent received anything in the mail asking me about this. I dont think court is keeping track of if she is still in school or not, just that she has turned 18..gulp

    Comment by beyondhopes (original poster) at 11:21 PM on Aug. 30, 2010