How many gallons of paint?

I want to repaint the three bedrooms in my home. They are small about 12 X 12 with 8 foot ceilings. How much paint will I have to buy? The color I am painting over is an off white color and I am going to change it to a more sandy beige color. Should I paint the ceiling BEFORE or AFTER I paint the walls? And how much ceiling white paint should I buy? I have those icky popcorn ceilings. Thanks. I want to do it myself so I can have more satisfaction in myself and it will also help the wallet.

Joeygoat

Asked by Joeygoat at 11:19 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Home & Garden

• ok Im a contrators wife and I will help u if u like if u have yellowing ceilings kiltz good let dry and then roll ceiling it will take about 2 gallons to have it looking good. Do not dry roll or u will have stricks. Walls about 5 galloons make sure u have puttied all holes when painting please make a w as u roll it and do the cut in first about 4 inches all around ceiling doors windows if u need help wit anythig add me
    pamnjim

Answer by pamnjim at 11:58 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• you should paint the ceilings first..also you can go to lowes or home depot and tell them the size of your rooms and they will tell you how much paint you need...also to make to ceilings you could cover them with kilz and it will make them bright white
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 11:27 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• So I will have to buy equal amounts of Kilz and ceiling paint? Thanks for the information,

Joeygoat

Comment by Joeygoat (original poster) at 11:30 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Exactly what jor said.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:32 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I have not painted anything since my military days when you either cleaned it, moved it or painted it. Now I just get to paint with colors I like. I am going to have to buy a ladder. I think I will go with aluminum rather then wood. I have to use the ladder outside when I have to wash the house. I am going to pay dearly with pain for all of this 'dream'. But I am trying to save up money for a vacation.

Joeygoat

Comment by Joeygoat (original poster) at 11:37 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• ceiling first, one gallon per room for the walls, or a five gallon bucket would be a real saver. one gallon of ceiling paint ought to do it
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:02 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• You don't need Kilz's unless you have mold, mildew, yellowing walls from cig smoke, water stains or anything else that has stained the walls. Kilz's is just a primer base coat designed for hiding stains. You will need to use two coats of paint on the walls for good coverage. As to having a popcorn ceiling, you might want to get a spray paint system for that. It gives better coverage than using a roller. But if you roll it instead, getting the thicker nap roll. Do talk to your paint supplier. They can give a better estimation for paint on a popcorn ceiling. Roughly it's twice the amount for the same size as for a flat ceiling.

isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 11:56 AM on Sep. 1, 2010