My son has very low energy and is gaining weight- could it be medical condition?

cuteasabutton78

Asked by cuteasabutton78 at 11:29 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Kids' Health

• possibly but look at what he is eating too, if its not high energy healthy nutritional food, he won't feel good and therefore be sluggish and unhealthy
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 11:30 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• it may be, but what is he eating? do you try to get him active and he avoids it or is he just not able to? if it were me, i'd make an appointment after shutting off the computer/tv/games, giving him some healthier snacks, going on family activities. if you are doing all that, or trying to, then definately get him in to see the doctor.
    candle5

Answer by candle5 at 11:32 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• What you eat can impact your energy level, mood, and life A LOT. I would make sure he is getting a lot of healthy fruits/veggies and whole grains... trying to avoid white starches, processed foods, and anything from a box or bag or that contains corn syrup. From my life I've found the more active I am the more energy I have. I think just being not active can make you more not active. It's a bad cycle. & of course it COULD be a medical condition.. really anything could be... but it sounds to me like he might just need a change of diet, routine, and attitude. I grew up with an obese sister who was only 1 year older than me and I watched her suffer for years because of it.. physically, emotionally, and socially. I think getting kids involved in sports is a great way to build confidence, friendships and stay active. Maybe even a martial art... if he's bigger he might be uncomfortable at first with the idea though.
    Kisses4Henry

Answer by Kisses4Henry at 11:35 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I agree with the others. I'm sure there are some conditions that would list these as symptoms. I believe, for example, an underactive thyroid includes weight gain and a lack of energy.

However, being overweight can lead to a lack of energy. Being inactive can lead to both weight gain AND a loss of energy. Eating empty calories, high fat foods, etc can lead to both as well. Take a look at his eating habits and his activity. Try finding a healthier diet (not *a* diet but an overall better way to eat) and incorporate family active time.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:41 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I agree with the others but it doesn't hurt to talk to his doctor as well. Let him/her know your concerns and see what their suggestions are.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 11:54 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Get him checked out to be safe
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:02 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• If he's bored, he probably isn't getting the exercise he needs. Healthy foods are a must. You can have his thyroid checked too. It can play a factor.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:04 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Gotcha all, thanks. It's pretty much what I was thinking but it's always nice to hear from others. I know when he's laying around being lazy, and I ask him to get up and do something he tends to get up and think he needs to chug a full cup or milk or eat. I know that he eats because of boredom but come on already- he's a kid, how could you be bored.....
    cuteasabutton78

Comment by cuteasabutton78 (original poster) at 12:20 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Have his thyroid checked to rule out any potential problems there. It's not real common, but hypotyroidism can cause such symptoms.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:23 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Definately check the thyroid and ask the docs opinion.
    Jadegirl1819

Answer by Jadegirl1819 at 8:53 AM on Sep. 1, 2010