Am i not good enough....?

So i tried adopting a dog, my app was approved and everything was good till my home visit they didnt even walk in, oh its a trailer sry we are denying you. WTF why does living in a trailer dictate weather or not i can care for a dog?

UGH! here i am trying to help give a needy dog a good home and they wont let me and they holler about how full they are. well you cant say i didnt try to get a dog they just wont let any one have a dog of theirs.

ashleywilkerson

Asked by ashleywilkerson at 11:49 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Pets

• That's not right. It's also weird that they had to visit your home. I've adopted lots of dogs and have never had to go through that. You can look on Craigslist. I just can't believe that with all the dogs dying from not having home, they're denying people that easily!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:52 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• They did a home visit to adopt a dog? Seriously? Check out craigslist, there are free, needy dogs all the time
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:00 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Some rescue groups are like that and want a home inspection, personally I would never adopt a dog from one just because they want to visit your home and sometimes come back to check again. Go to your local animal shelter and get a dog from there, there is only the adoption application and fee.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 12:01 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Some of the rules are rediculas. My son wanted a great dane, so we found one we wanted on pet finder. They had rules like none of the dogs could be adopted by families with children under 8. I thought that was crazy. Who are they to tell me how old my children had to be. I sent them an email about the dog my son wanted and we had an infant. Also, told them they shouldn't deny a dog a good home because of that fact. Anyway, we got the dog. He's a wonderful addition to our family. I'd check craigslist in your area.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 12:02 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• adopting for a breeder is like that and it sucks. If you were trying to adopt from a sanctuary or humane society home visits are VERY rare and there was something in your app that may have put up a "red flag" that they wanted to investigate. I would ask to speak the the manager of the facility and ask politely what was wrong with your app and / or with your home. If they refused to tell you (or refused to look into the matter) talk to a lawyer about suing for discrimination. The lawyer could tell you if 1 you have a case and 2 if you can demand a pet from them.

The hardest part of this whole thing is going to stay nice and polite. Best of luck i hope all goes well for you. :)
    SolaraDarkset

Answer by SolaraDarkset at 12:03 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• i have checked craigslist but its hard to find the kid of dog i want where i dont have to pay 200-500 dollars. we are wanting a pit bull (I DONT NOT WANT TO HEAR ALL THE BS ITS MY DECISION TO HAVE ONE) to go with the one we already have. i have a female and want another female and everyone wants a ton of money for them. im just trying to get a new dog for my husband as his just passed do to a clef pallet (hole in the top of her mouth). i am having a friend check with this one shelter on the military base here and see if they have any, the shelter in town puts the down 24 hours after they get them puppy or grown. and wont put them up for adoption
    ashleywilkerson

Comment by ashleywilkerson (original poster) at 12:06 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• its a must for a home visit its in their contract and app that you sign
    ashleywilkerson

Comment by ashleywilkerson (original poster) at 12:07 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• maybe they thought a trailer was not big enough. especially if there is not fenced yard or garage. depending on the breed and agency, some will deny you if you do not have a large enough backyard for it to run in. also, sometimes the agencies are held accountable if they send the dog to an unhealthy circumstance, so they are extra careful.
    i know it seems biased, but in most cases, they are trying to do what is right and CYA at the sametime. if you feel you have a good home to offer, find another agency or use craigslist.
    sorry for the disappointment!
    pat7879

Answer by pat7879 at 12:08 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• try petfinder.com I have met many pit bulls and most are very nice (very protective of their owners, but very nice dogs).
    SolaraDarkset

Answer by SolaraDarkset at 12:10 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• It may have been the size of your house. Many shelters won't let you adopt a larger dog if they don't think you have enough room for it.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:05 AM on Aug. 31, 2010