Does anyone know about Ohio boating laws?

My husband and I were planing a night fishing trip and we were thinking of taking our three year old son out with us. We had life jackets for everyone, blankets, towels, my son's fishing pole, snacks, soda and water. We weren't planing on it being an all night trip, just about two hours. The only reason we thought about taking our son (and not asking Grandma to watch him over night) was he LOVES fishing. He throws a fit if we go fishing with out him.

So my MIL hears about our plans and screams that its not only against the laws but it's child endangerment also. So my husband and I figure we won't take him out this time and we'll look into the law. We can't find any laws concerning child and boats (with the exception that child have to be in a PFD at ALL times).

SolaraDarkset

Asked by SolaraDarkset at 11:53 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Here's the ODNR Devision of Watercrafts website... hopefully you can find all the info you need! only thing it says about kids under 12 is this: Children under the age of 12 MAY NOT operate a PWC (ie. Jet-ski, Sea-Doo, etc), under any circumstances. Children 12 to 15 may operate if they have an education certificate AND there is an adult (18 or older) onboard with them. Young adults age 16 and older may operate if they have an education certificate

SAHMomOf3

Answer by SAHMomOf3 at 11:16 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• That and you have to have lights on the boat at night... in the front it's red for port, green for starboard, and a white light in the back. Other then that and the PRD I think you are good to go I think.

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 11:56 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Ohh and Ask her to show you a copy of that law I'd say
    Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 11:57 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• That is the funniest thing I have heard today. I do not know Ohio's law but I know boating laws only require life jackets and most places fishing license. I would guess this would be the same for all places. And I believe since he is so young he probably doesn't need a license :)
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 12:34 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Sorry i live in CT
    janieishappy

Answer by janieishappy at 12:03 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• nope t here's a bump for ya!
    asil

Answer by asil at 10:51 PM on Aug. 31, 2010