s/o toddler bed

So did anyone else have a child upstairs when transitioning them from crib to toddler (or twin) bed? DD hasn't really tried to climb out of her crib yet, over all she seems content with it. My main concern is the stairs. She can go up and down the stairs by herself, for the most part. But her little legs are so short she sometimes trips a little when going down, so I don't yet trust her without a spotter. Our room is right next to her room, and we sleep with both doors open. The house has been settling, and the doors don't always latch when they're closed. I do have a gate I could put at the top of the stairs, but it's not one of the mounted ones, so I'm not sure I trust it.

Suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• can you put the gate on her bedroom door?
    pat7879

Answer by pat7879 at 11:58 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I would get a mounted gate. My parents had one of those.. thankfully! At about 4/5 I started to sleep walk and that thing saved me. If you have stairs they are always good to get just to be sure.
    Kisses4Henry

Answer by Kisses4Henry at 11:57 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Get a mounted gate for the top of the stairs. We had one top and bottom when the girls were 1 and we moved in to the house and just stopped using them when they were 3 and could do the stairs well.

We got simple wooden ones from Ace Hardware about $30 I think, they worked great and don't look so bad as those plastic ones.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 11:59 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• gate the bedroom or the stairs.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:00 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Gate the bedroom door and buy a mounted gate for the stairs. ...then I would use both, but I am paranoid. LOL.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 12:00 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• We're in a rental, I don't think I'm allowed to put up a mounted gate. At her door might work. I was thinking that the gate might not stop her, but would at least slow her progress toward the stairs as well as make noise (to wake me) if it's knocked down. There is a bit of hall way between her door and the stairs.

Since she's not really complained about the crib, maybe I should just leave her there until we move (hopefully soon).
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:00 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Yeah, my stomach flips if she's even a few steps ahead of me when we're going to the stairs to go down. They're straight with tile at the bottom.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:02 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I'd go with a gate at her door then. How old is she?
    Angyll24

Answer by Angyll24 at 12:09 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• 19 months
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:13 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I think it would depend on how long before you plan to move. If you think it will be soon, I'd make all the changes at the same time. If you think it will be awhile, I'd either get a mounted gate for the stairs or a gate for her bedroom door... or possibly both, since they will both have their uses.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 12:23 AM on Aug. 31, 2010