won't got to bed unless I do

A little back story ... it's been me and my son for the last 4 years. We pretty much do everything together.

He has recently decided that he will not go to bed unless I do. It's not defiance it's more that he wants someone to lay in bed next to him. He doesn't want to go to bed by himself.

Has anyone else been through this? If so what would you suggest to help?

bubblycute

Asked by bubblycute at 12:05 AM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would be firm and tell him he has to stay in his bed. Everytime he gets out just put him back without saying anything til he stays. At 4 he is ol enough to understan when he has a bedtime. Of course this is after storytime and hug/kisses goodnight :) this is what I do with all my kids and I have 4 :)
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 12:31 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• sorry .. im not to that stage yet!!
    janieishappy

Answer by janieishappy at 12:08 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Honestly, I wouldn't give in to him. Put him to bed, possibly give him a little bit of cuddle time, and then let him sleep alone.

This might be harder to do if he's used to having you with him, but you'll be able to figure out what works for the two of you.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 12:09 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• i would start by explaining that parents don't go to bed when kids do... stick to your guns... and hopefully after a few days it will be all over with!
    asil

Answer by asil at 10:50 PM on Aug. 31, 2010