Pelvic Exams On Anesthetized Women.......

Would it bother you to find out that this was done to you?

http://www.theunnecesarean.com/blog/2010/8/30/medical-student-wont-perform-pelvic-exams-on-anesthetized-pa.html

dedicatedrider

Asked by dedicatedrider at 12:25 AM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• dedicatedrider

Comment by dedicatedrider (original poster) at 12:26 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Oh. My. God.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:28 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Oh My Goodness. How disturbing.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 12:31 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• actually ..not really.. it wouldnt
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:32 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I would be livid!!!
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 12:34 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• These two piss me off. I am sorry but I am going to be quite blunt about it. Its wrong to do pelvic exams without consent.

When you were a medical student, did all your classmates perform non-consensual pelvic exams on women?

Yes, particularly the male students practiced pelvic exams on anesthetized women. As of last year, which was the last time I checked, they still do.

Why are male students more likely to perform non-consensual pelvic exams?

The medical community assumes that women will be less likely to allow male students practice on them if asked. So the male students are quicker to jump at the opportunity to practice on women who are unconscious.

Now I question about what may or may not have happened during my exploratory surgery (ended up being appendicitis). I mean since they really had no idea WHAT was wrong and I WAS menstruating, 3 students were going to observe the operation.... *shivers*
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 1:28 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I don't believe any of this to be true.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:31 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Regardless of your feelings, you should be aware that this is standard procedure in many Canadian teaching hospitals.

Medical students routinely practice doing internal pelvic examinations while surgery patients are unconscious, and without getting specific consent, at least in Canada.

Guidelines in the United States and Britain say specific consent is required but, by contrast, Canadian guidelines state that pelvic examination by trainees is “implicit.”

I live in the U.S. and oppose UHC for many reasons, I'll add this one to my list why I don't live in CANADA.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:36 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• http://academicobgyn.com/2010/07/27/the-myth-of-the-unnecessary-cesarean/

I feel things like this need to be fair and balanced.

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:43 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• OP
    stop using scare tactics on women who at a time in their life may need medical/surgical intervention. You post such a radical website and claim it all to be true, it might be true in some countries about the pelvic exams, but imposing your thoughts about an unnecessary cesarean I think is wrong. That is up to the patient and their doctor to decide,I hope women who read your website will also read the other side about it.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:48 AM on Aug. 31, 2010