i think i might be going into labor.. first time pregnency, so not really sure though :-s

i started feeling cramps since past half hour which are 9 mins apart. can't really tell if they are like menstrual cramps because to be honest ive never had any stomach aches/cramps whenever my periods started. just slight back ache. so i can't really tell.
these are like cramps which is like slight shooting pain (not unbearable though like they show on pregnancy clips) in my middle to lower abdomen. they last for 6-7 seconds. but my water hasn't broken yet, so i'm not sure if these are false contractions. i was thinking about calling my doctor but then i wasn;t sure myself so i'll wait for another hour or so. i didn't wake my DH because he'll just freak out and rush me to the hospital.
how can i make tell if these are real or fake?
btw im 38weeks and 6 days pregnant to be exact..
any kind of advice would be appreciated .. thanks !!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Keep timing them. If they get to 5 min apart call the doctor or hospital and inform them. Your water won't always break on its own so that's not the only indicator of true labor. Btw, if your mom had quick labors, you don't want to wait too late because many times, that affects how long you stay in labor.
    bean4700

Answer by bean4700 at 12:41 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I would wait and see if you keep getting them and see if they get closer together, there's not much you can do at the hospital unless they are about 3-5 minutes apart or your water breaks -good luck!
    ProudMommyOH3

Answer by ProudMommyOH3 at 12:33 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• well that doesnt sound like productive contractions.they sould be about 5 minutes apart and last 30-60 seconds. a 6-7 second contraction isnt going to make any progress. i dont think your in labor but it could start at any time. watch for pains that start in oyur lower back and wrap around to your belly and they need to last 30-60 seconds each.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:36 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• When I went to the hospital they had informed me it is not worth coming in to them until you are having contractions hard enough that you can not talk through. HTH
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 12:32 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I think it might be early labor. I was always told the contractions should be about 30seconds to a min. long and 5 min apart before calling my midwife. I say just try to relax *yea right! lol* and wait it out. It probably won't be much longer!
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 12:42 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• If this is a first time occurrence, it could be Braxton Hicks contractions. They are the body's way of practicing for the real thing. Usually resting with your feet up and drinking water will help them to go away or ease up. It might take a couple of hours for them to let up. If they get closer together and more intense, then you are most likely moving into labor.

To know if they are any form of contraction, you can put your hand on your belly. If you can feel the muscles tense up when the sensation hits, then it is a contraction. But it could be the BH and not the real thing. Go with your gut instinct on this one. No one knows your body better than you. And you have a gut reaction for a reason. Follow it.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 1:15 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Wait until they are 5 min apart and you cant talk through them. Thats what i have always been taught to head in.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 11:49 AM on Aug. 31, 2010