How do you deal with a crazy coworker?

I have a coworker who is absolutely unstable. She berates me in public, yelling at me, making up crazy accusations, just being a real insane jerk. Thankfully I don't report to her. I'm going to her supervisor about her and if that doesn't work, HR and filing a complaint. I'm wondering how you deal with a crazy coworker, or really, any crazy person in your life.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Money & Work

• You're doing the right thing. The last thing you need to do is confront the person directly and then it's a case of she said/she said and you both might get written up by HR. If she wasn't a co-worker you could tell her off or ignore her, but in the workplace, it's best to bring in the people who can help you. She's creating a hostile work environment for you.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:19 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Good luck. I had a crazy at work and she made my life MISERABLE. She was basically allowed to act however she wanted because of her 'mental illness'. The company viewed her issues as a disablity so she was protected. She was only 26 and had some sort of nervous breakdown and was near suicidal all the time.

The rest of us were at a her mercy because she could complain to our manager that she "felt like we were mean to her" or "was stressed out". Honestly, I could not have been more careful around her, but she was always the victim. She finally left because our job is stressful.

It was very hard to work with someone who was so unstable. You could ask her about a basic job task and she would cry or start shaking. She was very manipulative and it was frustrating that managment gave her so much power bc she could claim disabilty. It was so hard to work in this situation I would have quit if she didn't.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 11:28 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I stand up for myself if its just life, but work you have to go through the chain of command unfortunately....and make a big deal out of it...if she/he is doing it in public you can also file against her with the police bc it was in public.....work related or not.
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 1:41 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• at work, you go through the chain of command. In life, you distance yourself from them.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 6:41 AM on Aug. 31, 2010