I need your help ladies. Im 30 weeks pregnant!

In 4 days I will be 31 weeks pregnant. ihad to run out of town due to a sudden death in the family and i just got home tonight. i have been on my feet a bit, but the last 3 days i have noticed my feet are starting to swell, my right side is swelling a little more than my left.. its my foot and the ankle area, the swelling isnt that bad to be honest. but its enough to bother me, it doesnt hurt but it feels i guess little heavier than normal and you can tell by looking at it its swollen a bit. i elevate my feet very much now. i am wondering if this is normal? i drink tons of water im just worried its not normal. anything i can do? i will call my doctor in the morning, just want to ease my mind tonight if possible. thanks ladies

Armywifelovely

Asked by Armywifelovely at 12:36 AM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Swelling late in pregnancy can be normal or it can be a sign of pre-eclampsia. You need to talk to your doctor and have them test you for protein in your urine. GL
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 12:38 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• swelling is normal in late pregnancy. if you have a way to check your blood pressure that will tell you if you have anything to worry about. i would just wait till your next appointment and mention it then though.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:39 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I would call the doctor in the morning for now just relax and put your feet up. If you start getting any headaches. Make sure you call the doctor and let them know.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 12:39 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Definately call your OB just to be sure...but I got like this during my third trimester, it might go down if you give it some time, dont stress about it, just get some rest :)
    ProudMommyOH3

Answer by ProudMommyOH3 at 12:39 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• The best thing you can do to test if it is a "bad" swelling is to push in on the swelling. If the area you push in stays in for an extended period and SLOWLY comes back out instead of popping right back out, it is the not good kind of swelling. Sometimes drinking too much water can cause swelling. Have you noticed how often you've had to use the restroom? If the amount has decreased, it is possible that all of that water hasn't found it's way out of the body yet.
    And remember that extra stress can also cause swelling. A death in the family would definitely constitute as extra stress. Take deep breaths. Try to relax. Take a load off. Write in your journal if you think it will help to put your mind at ease. Anything that will help you relax is a plus.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 12:40 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• elevate your feet, hydrate, and get your SO to rub them if you can. If it's normal swelling that should help it go down. Call your doc in the morning, they still might want to check your BP for pre-eclampsia. Don't worry just yet, though. my bet is it's just your activity level.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:41 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Swelling in pregnancy can be very normal or it can be a sign of Pre-Eclampsia. Protein in the urine is usually the last sign of Pre-E. The first signs are swelling, increase in BP and Swelling. Do you have any headaches? Do you have a way to take your BP? It is probably just where you are on your feet so much. Keep your feet up and try to rest.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 12:41 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• OP- here and I did take my blood pressure today it was 122/77 im not too sure how well it is...
    Armywifelovely

Comment by Armywifelovely (original poster) at 12:45 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• 122/77 is perfectly fine. when I was diagnosed with pre-eclampsia mine was 170/117.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:47 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Hypertension is stated as being 140/90. If either number equals or goes above that, you need to contact your doctor ASAP.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 12:59 AM on Aug. 31, 2010