Question about flu shot

Ijust had my daughters get the flu shot for the first time this year. About 24 hours later my 4 year old got sick and started throwing up. I've never gotten the flu shot myself, so I don't know if this is normal. I've heard some people say that you can get the flu from the flu shot, but the research I've done on the internet seems to indicate that this is a myth. However, I find it to be too much of a coincidence that she got sick so soon after getting the shot. To my knowledge, she has not been around anyone that is sick. Can anyone give me some feedback on why this might have happened? I'd like to get opinions from people who are both for and against getting the vaccine. I'm trying to decide whether or not I should the shot for myself.

lovemydivas

Asked by lovemydivas at 10:28 AM on Oct. 11, 2008 in Kids' Health

• First I would like to say that the last time I got a flu shot I was a teenager and never had one since. Everytime it was time to get that shot I always got sick. I do not give the flu shot to my children at all. As far as I know when they make the shot it is just a wild guess of what strands of flu are in the shot. And it doesn't necessarily mean it is going to protect you from some other strand they left out. So I just refuse it for my family. They are all healthy and to this day haven't had more than an ear infection. Thank God. But like I said because it always made me sick. I just refuse the shot.
    MamiSanford

Answer by MamiSanford at 10:36 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• My family usually gets it. But I don't let the kids get it, I think their bodies should build up antibodies by having a cold now and then. My mom ALways gets sick when she gets the shot and my dh too! I dunno if its good or not but vommiting is the bodies way of taking out trash, so I'd check up with ur doc!
    luschram

Answer by luschram at 10:39 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• http://www.nvic.org/Diseases/influenzafacts.htm
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 11:50 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• My whole family gets flu shots every year - and we have never had any adverse reaction. Of all the people I know who get the flu vaccine, I have had one person tell me that they came down with sniffles and a sore throat the next day, but it was gone in a few days. I hope that your child is feeling better, but vomiting doesn't typically occur.
    richgirljj

Answer by richgirljj at 3:41 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Wow. I would be concerned about the vomiting because she is only 4 years old, especially. I've seen my husband get sick after getting the flu shot himself. He has a mild case of eczema on his arms. (Eczema is an autoimmune disorder.) My daughter has inherited the eczema from him, but much more, so I don't get the flu shot for her, no matter what I read. She is a lot like her father, and if he gets sick from the flu shot, I think she might get sick, too. Good luck and let us know how your daughter is doing. I wish you all the best.

Joyce
    JoyceD

Answer by JoyceD at 4:04 PM on Oct. 11, 2008