At what age is good to start teaching the A,B,C'S ?

yamil519

Asked by yamil519 at 1:33 AM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• For my ds's, I based my decision about this subject on my ds's thirst for knowledge. My 2 oldest ds's didn't really learn until kindergarten. They just weren't ready. My 3-yr-old is asking me what a specific letter looks like & what sound does it make. Go figure!
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 1:37 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• My dd knew every single one, and out of order and in order too at 20 months. I have to give all the credit to Leapfrog fridge magnets. They teach the sounds the letters make, she knows all of them. She points out letters when we are out and about on street signs, menus, cas, everything and is right 100% of the time! It's amazing! She also can recite the alphabet all by herself and count to 10 all by herself. She recognizes numbers too.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:36 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• If you start from birth pointing out letters and shapes and colors to your child, they should pick up on their own without you actually "teaching" them. So, anytime from birth on is excellent.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:57 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• DD new them all out of order well before 2, I don't remember how old though, maybe 20 months?
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 2:40 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I think it depends on the child. You can teach them anytime, but they may not remember it. A child who is delayed in speech would take longer to learn the ABCs than a child who is advanced for their age. My daughter is 20 months and just learning her 123s. When she is ready, Ill start on ABCs.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 6:38 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• The first poster mentioned the fridge phonics and I 2nd that recommendation! My son is 21 months and knows all of his letters in and out of order too. He now "reads" me the letters on signs, posters, shirts, etc. They are a great teaching/play tool.

Answer by missanc at 8:52 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• My 22 month old son, isn't talking much yet, but we've been working on letters and numbers since he was 6 months. he is really good at puzzles. If you tell him to put the D in the slot, he picks up the D and puts it in, same with the rest of the letters and numbers
    BradensMom1026

Answer by BradensMom1026 at 10:54 AM on Aug. 31, 2010