Skills?

What Skills are most important to teach our Daugthers?
-Sewing
-Cooking
-Gardening

What skills are most important to teach our Sons?
-Carpentry?
-farming?

hsmominky

Asked by hsmominky at 1:49 AM on Aug. 31, 2010 in General Parenting

• While I understand that teaching traditional roles is important to you, it's ok to blur those lines a bit. Your DS should know how to cook dinner, in the event that he needs to. Your DD should know how to do minor repairs around the house. You understand what I mean. What about laundry? What about care of the livestock on the farm? Your DD might be interested in something that might not be a traditionally woman's role. I think if one or the other is interested in an activity, they should be encouraged to learn it. Honestly, though, I'm sure your children will naturally lean toward the skills they will be good at performing. We are given those inclinations for a reason, and we (men and women) are different for a reason. It's just the way God made us!
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 8:05 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• To me what would be most important is to teach them both how to be self-sufficient so that they can take care of themselves when that time comes. They will get the same lesson pretty much because I don't want my son or daughter to think they have to be in a certain role. Their life can be whatever the want it to be as long as it's postive and honest.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 4:38 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• My daughter wants to learn how to sew, which is something I never learned, so my mother and MIL are taking over that task - it'll save her tons of money on costumes, hemming pants/skirts, etc. Very useful skill I with I had!! My sons and daughters will all learn basics of taking care of a car - checking/changing oil, changing a flat tire, etc because I think if you have a car you should be able to care for it. My husband will also be teaching our sons more in depth mechanics - changing brakes, spark plugs, etc. as well as basics of fixing/building things. My husband has been finishing off our 3rd floor and having our sons help. I think sons and daughters should learn basics of cooking too - if your sons don't get married young it will be a useful skill for them to have as well. Although I am teaching my older daughter (and will the younger when she's older) how to cook more things than I am teaching my boys.

Answer by missanc at 9:07 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I think self reliance is a good skill to teach kids of both genders. I think being handy is also a good skill for both. I am teaching my sons about gardening and cooking too.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:17 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I would teach them both the all of those skills. So the daughter can fix up things around the house if need be and the son can exist on his own at home too.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:48 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• What a wonderful opportunity for you and your daughter to learn a new skill together (sewing) and to include the older generations in helping you learn. They will be a wealth of information, I'm sure, since there are a million tips and tricks in sewing that you just won't learn from a book. They will be thrilled that you are requesting their guidance, I bet. I so wish I had learned to quilt from my grandmother before she passed away. I also think that the life you are choosing to live in the country, and with such valuable skills, is wonderful. My DH grew up in the country and he learned so much more responsibility and maturity than I, the city mouse, did. I frittered away time doing nothing and learning nothing, while he was learning things that he could put to use later in life. He's the healthiest person I know, too.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 7:58 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I am the same way with taching mine! y girls help cook, clean, do laundry...etc. They are also learning dance, and sewing! My son also has to mainitain his own room, and help put away his laundry, but he has learned how to change a tire, and how to use a saw to cut a tree. I want them to learn many things, but in reality, I teach them more traditional things! Good Job Mominky!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:51 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I'd teach BOTH of them ALL those skills. a female needs to know how to change a tire just as well as a man, just like a man needs to know how to cook, when he goes out into the world with out his mommy. I'm old fashion-esque in the way that dinner is on the table every day and i am in charge of the household chores. but i plan to help my skills acquire a vast variety of skills
    Trin0714

Answer by Trin0714 at 9:59 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Those sound like skills that would have been important years ago, but not today.
    luvsmysonjames

Answer by luvsmysonjames at 1:53 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I say whatever they are interested in. I'm not going to teach my daughter sewing or gardening, but she seems interested in cooking and she likes halping around with that..
    If I had a son I think I would try to get his dad to teach his anything he knows. I believe it's important for men to know how to fix stuff around the house.
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 1:55 AM on Aug. 31, 2010