Formula and Cereal

My son is 2 months old and is already having to have cereal put into his formula because he isnt getting enough to eat... is this a bad thing that im doing this???

AshleyMSpence17

Asked by AshleyMSpence17 at 2:12 AM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would check with his doctor. Usually formula is enough nutrition for a 2 month old.
    luvsmysonjames

Answer by luvsmysonjames at 2:14 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Why do you think he isn't getting enough to eat? You shouldn't put cereal in the bottle unless dr says to. I had to with both kids but it was because they both had GERD. It was so the milk would stay down and acid wouldn't burn their throat.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:16 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• the reason i dont think that he is getting enough because he was eating 5 ounces every 2 hours or less and stil l wants more to eat after that 5 ounces..
    AshleyMSpence17

Comment by AshleyMSpence17 (original poster) at 2:19 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Yeah, it isn't good to put it in the bottle and his stomach doesn't need cereal. His stomach should be no bigger than his fist, meaning he should only need 3 or 4 ounces max every little bit. He shouldn't be eating 5oz every 2 hours. Maybe you are mistaking stomach pain or reflux for hunger. Bottle fed babies act like they are hungry when in fact their stomach hurts.

http://www.articlesbase.com/babies-articles/the-dangers-of-giving-your-baby-cereal-in-a-bottle-722146.html

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/tipcerealinbottle.htm

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/formula/howmuchmilk/

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:55 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• He may still be hungry! I know that the guidelines are different for babies on formula, but I have had 2 boys that ate enormous amounts of breastmilk. They grew constantly and needed that extra food. I think they consumed double the amount (at least) that was recommended. My 9 month old is currently in 18 month clothing because of his length (the firstborn was the same way). DON'T feed cereal. Offer more formula before you do the cereal!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:06 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• If the baby is hungry feed him...if he's still getting the proper amount of formula it should be fine. I started feeding my son cereal earlier than that for the same reason....I just needed to make it heavier so he wouldnt be eating every 45 min. and if I just gave him more formula he would just spit it up. I have learned that on this website there are alot of fanatics about formula that will crusify you for this but your his mother and you do what you think is right for him.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 7:58 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• do what u feel is right for u and ur baby
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 8:07 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• No baby should have cereal before 4 mo. Do not just do whatever you feel like doing or what you think is right, you are not an expert on infants and you can cause harm that lasts a lifetime. The baby should have only the amount of formula that is recommended for his age. If he is fussy after that you need to use other ways to try and make him happy. An infants digestive system is not able to digest cereal even at 4 mo. Cereal is hard to digest. It causes something called leaky gut syndrome, damage to the lower digestive system. It also causes constipation. You can not formula feed on demand.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:42 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Cereal shouldnt be given before minimum of 4 months and should never be put in a bottle. If they cant eat off a spoon, they dont eat it :) Just up the formula if hes hungry. Cereal doesnt keep them full longer believe it or not.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 11:35 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• well thanks for all the inputs, but i honestly dont see what the problem is with giving it to him, its really fine and i dont put alot in there not even a full tsp.. and he isnt constipated or anything.. and i talked to his dr about him eating 5 ounces and he didnt say that was a bad thing.. im not going against any of you...
    AshleyMSpence17

Comment by AshleyMSpence17 (original poster) at 5:54 PM on Aug. 31, 2010