found out I am 33 weeks not 35 because my body is making to much amniotic fluid.

So I went to my doctors appointment today. Apparently I am 33 weeks not 35 like we thought. Apparently my body is making to much amniotic fluid and my body also thinks it's farther then it is so it may also cause me to go into premature labor. So that explains my pains and everything cause of the pressure from having to much fluid. I am reading some stuff on it and it's really scaring me with what could be wrong with my son or even myself if something goes wrong. I have to go for an emergency ultrasound later this week or next week to keep an eye on everything. But like I said I am at very high risk for premature labor. Have any of you ever heard of too much amniotic fluid and what it causes and if it really causes birth defects and down syndrom??? Please answer me. Right now my body thinks I am 36 weeks because of whats going on.

baybeegurl272

Asked by baybeegurl272 at 2:37 AM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I wouldnt worry about the early labor to much, its only two weeks which isnt to bad!! Its not two months, then you should worry. I understand the worry about early labor, I have a subchorionic hemorrhage which causes early labor also, my doc said it is pretty much inevitable. As far as everything else, I have no idea, but I will be sending good vibes your way!!!
    Casumael

Answer by Casumael at 2:50 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I have heard of that but I'm sure you were already tested for down syndrome early in preg. Drs like to weigh all the possibilities so they don't get sued later. Try to relax. They said the same thing to me when I was about 6 months because of a buildup on dd heart in an ultrasound. I had to go see a gyno specialist and he took one look and said it was just a buildup of calcium on the heart and was harmless. They had prior warned me of down syndrome. The dr further assured me that at my age(23) there was next to 0% of down syndrome. I know what you're going through but do try to relax. They are just being cautious.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:52 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Ok I'll try. Thank you very much ladies I have been reading posts on here and it's a little more reassuring then reading stuff on the net lol. I just can't wait until he is here and i know everything is ok.. I never had this problem with my daughter Kaylee that is 3. so it was just such a shock to me hearing it today in the office I was like WHAT!. Oh another thing too I was told today, My son's kidneys tube isn't dilating how it should and they said he may need a shunt. Have you ladies ever heard of that I have tried looking and can't find anything that comes close to what my doctor described to me.
    baybeegurl272

Comment by baybeegurl272 (original poster) at 2:58 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• And I am 22 years old as well and like I said my daughter isn't down syndrome so I think i am safe there.
    baybeegurl272

Comment by baybeegurl272 (original poster) at 3:00 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• The extra fluid won't cause birth defects or DS. DS or birth defect can cause the extra fluid. Also age has absolutely nothing to do with your chances of having a child with DS. Depending on the type of DS some have equal occurrences in younger and older mothers. My middle sis had a lot of fluid around her first child when she was pregnant with him. She actually went one week past her EDD based on LMP and she was induced at that time since she hadn't gone into labor yet. I wouldn't be worried about it. Sometimes things happen in pregnancy and no one knows why.
    DixieFlower

Answer by DixieFlower at 11:00 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Its called polyhydramnios. I had it. I was. At 36 weeks i was measuring 41 weeks. If you google it you will find alot of info. It can be caused by unknown causes, diabetes, and birth defects to the fetus. At your ultrasound they will probubly rule out any birth defects. With me it was from diabetes. I was induced at 39 weeks. I didnt go into preterm labor at all. My son was happy and healthy 8lb 8oz baby boy. No problems from it at all. There are risks, like preterm labor, placental abruption, uterine tears, prolapsed cord etc, but they will start checking your fluid levels alot so you dont get too much water and risk those things.I had mini ultrasounds 2x a week to watch m,y levels. If you get too much fluid they can suck some out in a procedure. I wouldnt worry about it too much. You can message me if you have more questions.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 11:43 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Just found out My next ultrasound is on the 9th so i'll keep you guys updated. Thanks for the info.
    baybeegurl272

Comment by baybeegurl272 (original poster) at 2:14 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I have been checked for diabetes and baby was checked for down syndrome in my last two ultrasound they told me. Cause I also did a sugar test that they make all women do to see if they are diabetes. So I hope they would've noticed something in those ultrasounds.
    baybeegurl272

Comment by baybeegurl272 (original poster) at 2:15 PM on Aug. 31, 2010