My 16 year made a fake driver's lisence!

I discovered a printed paper with a fake driver's license on it (his picture but a different name, address & birth date) when behind a cabinet I was helping my 16 yr. old move out of his room- looked like a duplicate had been cut out of it. I told him to bring me his wallet- at which point he admitted to carrying a fake ID "for a joke", and handed me a laminated fake. Who knows how many other copies he has. He said he got the card off the internet. He made himself a 20 year old, which wouldn't get him booze in our state, but still.... Obviously I've confiscated it. Now what do I do?

mamahobbit

Asked by mamahobbit at 2:38 AM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I would not just write this off. I have a 16 yr old and a 17 yr old, and, "joke" or not, he should be punished. Making a fake id is, in some states, a FELONY. In all states, it's a crime, and he could go to jail, have a fine, etc for it, and at 16, even if he didn't know this before, he's old enough to accept the consequences of making one (even if it wasn't for booze). Here's a link.

I would talk to him, ground him, and, if he has his real license, I would take it away (or delay when he could get one if he doesn't have it).  There's a difference between being a teen and doing dumb stuff, and being a teen and doing dumb and illegal stuff.  I would nip this in the bud.

Good luck.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 6:38 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I wouldnt worry to much it obviously wasnt for drinking. He might just want to get into strip clubs or something with friends. If that the only problem you have with him you are doing great! Maybe talk to him and let him know your dissapointment, sometimes that can make wave itself.
    Casumael

Answer by Casumael at 2:44 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• If it were my kid I would be asking a lot of questions and grounding for at least aweek. It probably was used for tobacco.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:47 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I agree with Casumel.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:49 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I would ground him definitely. It's fraudulent behavior and should never be tolerated or taken lightly.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 3:17 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• i am pretty sure all of us in a technology filled world have done it i am almost 30 and am guilty of the same thing, i wouldnt be too hard on him, kids will be kids and you can not really be too surprised I am sure you are guilty of your own rebellious fun times, just be open with your kids and be easy on them when they try to talk to you, that was my dads problem, i would have been more open with him if he wasnt so damn scary, i tel my four year old now, i may be mad but you need to tell me the truth and we can get over it a lot faster.
    emleejanedom

Answer by emleejanedom at 3:19 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• This is the oldest trick in the bag of teens who want to be of legal age before their time. I definitely deserves a good grounding and surveillance.

Answer by older at 7:49 AM on Aug. 31, 2010