IEP Advocate question

I should already know this but was hoping someone would have some insight. I dont need an advocate, I handle my son's IEP and always have andwe have done great but.... I have a friend whose son is falling between the cracks, she doesnt have the time or know how to approch it and to top it off she is very sick, has 4 kids and is trying to finish college soooooo. Can I be an advocate for her son and get him through the process to get re-evaluated and get his IEP going? Or do you have to have a special certification to be an advocate? I dont know a whole lot about it since we have never needed one so I feel somewhat lost on this side of special ed.

Does anyone know anything about it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:40 AM on Aug. 31, 2010 in

• Call and ask the Special Ed Coordinator at the school, s/he should have all the answers.
    Casumael

Answer by Casumael at 2:52 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• There are local agencies or like ^ said get in touch with the Special Education department at the child' school. There are usually really helpful. I always had my sons IEP done by the Intermediate Unit 13 in my area. They have been on top of everything and have gotten my son the accurate therapy and services he needs while he is in school. The extra attention a special child needs is very impotant. Leave it up to the Board of Ed and they will just let it go. I know, because they tried that with me until i got in touch with the correct people.
    AngelEyva

Answer by AngelEyva at 6:59 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I wouldn't call the special education department at the school...they don't like to hear about advocates. I think I would try to get in touch with someone at your local intermediate unit and see what they say.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 7:27 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Try Arc and MH/MR they can dvocate for her and they will make sure the school do what they are supposed to.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 8:06 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• It's my understanding that you do not have to be certified to be an advocate. The parent advocates around here get involved to help other parents sort through the process and make sure all the bases are covered but they do not actually sit in on case study evaluations and other meetings for purposes of getting an IEP put into place. They are more "behind the scenes". I used a parent advocate to help me with the steps required beforehand but hired an actually attorney who specialized in special ed law(s) to attend the meetings with me.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 1:33 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Ditto to FootballMom85 - you can work behind the scenes for the other mom, but you can't attend the IEP meetings - one of the child's parents should be present for that.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:39 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Just as FootballMom85 said, and you can attend the IEP meetings WITH the parent as her supportive friend, but you cannot attend in place of the parent.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 7:20 PM on Aug. 31, 2010