blocked tear ducts?

Anyone have a child with blocked tear ducts? Did they have to have surgery and how old were they when it happened?

It looks like my almost 7 week old son has both his tear ducts blocked. Every time I hold him I have to clear away the goop that forms in the corner of his eye and it gets really bad when he cries.

It's not the first time we've dealt with this. Our middle daughter had both ducts blocked. She also had a constant eye infection from the time she was born until she finally had surgery at 18 months to fix it. I've been trying to open my son's ducts but it's not working and he is really fighting me when I get near his eyes. Just like my daughter he now hates having his eyes touched at all. Sigh.

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 2:54 AM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When my son had blocked tear ducts, the doc told us to put a warm compress on his eyes numerous times a day. It will get worse before it gets better to clear everything out. He did not have to have surgery. Best of luck!
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 10:20 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I have 2 and never had that problem. You may want to look in What To Expect The First Year. I use it as a reference for just about everything. It has a section on that very topic. I never read it though because never had the issue. GL
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:02 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• My Doc suggested massaging the space between the nose and eye right under the corner of the eye. I also tried to stay away from using my fingers or wash cloths to clean the goop out. I got a few mini cotton balls and a small bowl of warm water and tossed the cotton after one use. Seemed to work for us.
    Amelia A.

Answer by Amelia A. at 3:44 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I have read suggestions to do nothing and DON'T massage the ducts and I have also read suggestions to do it. Since he hates it so much, I would try just leaving it alone. Most babies tear ducts eventually open on their own. Your son is still very young. I think one of my kids took a few months to open and then only one side. Eventually the other side did too. Hopefully he won't be like your daughter and the problem will resolve itself!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:57 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• our son used to get eye infections all the time, from blocked ducts, we were told to massage the eyelid and eventually after a month or so of doing it, he stopped getting them -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 8:51 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• My son has had an on and off goopy eye since about 2 months old. He is 6 months now and it seems to be pretty much cleared up. My doc said most will be fine by the age of 1.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:19 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Oh, and also always wipe away from the tear duct. If you wipe towards it, you can push gunk back inside and cause an infection.
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 10:22 AM on Aug. 31, 2010