Not sleeping in own room

My daughter is almost three but won't sleep in her own room at night. During the day she's fine but she has trouble at night. I put her to bed in her bed but she wakes up in the middle of the night and won't go back to sleep unless she's in bed with me. I've tried taking her back to her bed when she does that but it doesn't work, I've tried laying down in he rbed with her too but that doesn't work either. Any suggestions ?

countrygirl06

Asked by countrygirl06 at 2:54 AM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My dd is 2 and does the same exact thing. She will sleep alone as long as someone is next to her bed rubbing her back, but if she awkens and that person is no longer in her room....then she runs and cries and gets in my and dh bed. I don't know the exact cause. She started it when she came out of the crib. She had no problems in the crib. I think its something that has to be outgrown when they are more aware of things.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:58 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I never had a problem with my son though when he was this age, he's 4 1/2 now, he's never had a problem sleeping in his own bed except for the rare time when he's sick. And now that I think about it she did do better in the crib,
    countrygirl06

Comment by countrygirl06 (original poster) at 3:04 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• just let her, she wont want to sleep with you forever, my son still comes into bed with me every morning he is th early waker in the family every morning at six, he is four, now i made a new rule to make it special so i tell him on saturday and sunday he can, those are special family days so he remembers, today was the first day i put it into effect, didnt work but, i guess my point is, just love them, we dont have to live up to anyones standards or what the book says we should do or what makes us a good parent by explanation of text book, no one truly knows and its all just guessing, when it comes down to it do what feels right for you and your family, whatever you are ok with. Good luck!!!
    emleejanedom

Answer by emleejanedom at 3:13 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• My DH and I were having an argument on that subject he wants me to teach her to stay in her bed. And i told him that she would most likely grow out of it in a few years.
    countrygirl06

Comment by countrygirl06 (original poster) at 3:20 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• oh god! Dont just let her! She will be in your bed forever! I always have let my kids know that the only person that sleeps in the bed with me is daddy. I would probably tell her she is not wanted in your bed, and she needs to stay in hers, and take her back everytime she came in. Kids test you every sec to see what they have to do to get what they want. If she sees that you arent going to budge on this, she will eventually give up. Easier said than done I know, but she is only going to get more set on sleeping with you the older she gets...You def dont want to try this when she is 4 or 5...They already think they know everything by then!
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 3:25 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• well well well luvmymedic maybe you should write a book, maybe what your doing is what fits you and you dont question that, kids do test but kids also look and dearch for love, and they have no boundaries for that, i dont care if they are 20 and want to crawl into bed with me if it is on their accord, believe it or not kids are indivisuals! "oh god" you sound selfish luvmymedic is that a fair assumption to make just because i feel what i do is right. . . . no. . . to each their own, you can only say what works for you not what you think is right!
    emleejanedom

Answer by emleejanedom at 4:05 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• and i have a friend who let her daughter sleep with her until she was ten and now she is a stable and active adult, who lives an hour away from her mom!
    emleejanedom

Answer by emleejanedom at 4:07 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• this just a suggestion but i did that when i was kid and my parents found out it was because they had a fan in their room and so they put one in my room and then i started to stay put. it's soothing white noise. good luck! :0)
    pmg1030

Answer by pmg1030 at 5:48 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• i would never tell my little one that she not wanted in the bed. that is so mean. my little one is only 17months but for awhile i let her fall asleep in my bed and then take her to the crib. it was hard to get her to sleep in her crib alone but whenver she gets up she would come to my bed. i would never reject her from doing that. that is a heartless and cruel. she is only 3yrs. kids go through phases. you might want to keep taking her back to her room on a very consistent basis and just explain that she has a big girl bed. kids want to feel safe and secure. the white noise might work too. good luck don't listen to lovemymedic3id.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 6:37 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• hahaha I knew YOU would get your panties in a bunch....Dont be mad because I have the guts to BE the parent. You are right! Maybe I should write a book....I have such free time between the hours of 9pm and 7am! Time for me, time for my husband, time to write my book. excellent. hahahahaha
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 6:40 AM on Aug. 31, 2010