Ants!!!!

It is ant season I guess. My kitchen has been invaded. I started moving things and cleaning and spraying (bug spray) behind everything. I will do more today in the kitchen after work. I guess even a brand new house gets ants. What do you do when you have ants in your kitchen?

Asked by louise2 at 5:44 AM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Home & Garden

• a liquid mixture of borax & sugar works better. They can actually pickthrough the powdered stuff & leave the borax behind. If you get some borax & mix with honey, or syrup, this will work better becasue it's all mixed in liquid form. BUT, you have to mix the right amount (you will need to google how much borax in honey) If there is not enough borax, they will not die. If there is too much borax, they will die too quickly & those smart ants won't eat it anymore. But, if you use just the right amount, they'll die in about 3-5 days. JUST enough time for them to bring it all back & feed their young & queen. Look it up, it's interesting.

They hate coffee, angel is right. They also hate cinnamon. You can sprinkle cinnamon along with your coffee & they will not go to that area. But, they will check back periodically!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:44 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Thats sugar and borax does work and it works really well for roaches as well. My grandmother lived in New York City and never had a roach in her house, so this works. Now if it doesnt work on the ants, I used coffee grounds and sprinkled them in the area they like to visit often and they hate the smell or something because they never returned.
    AngelEyva

Answer by AngelEyva at 6:18 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• If you know how they are getting in, then sidewalk chalk is your best first line of defense. I have my son color the threshold on our back door...they won't cross it. I haven't seen one of those little buggers all year.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 6:56 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I made a mixture of borax & powdered sugar that I have little piles of up in the window sill and a little behind the faucet. the sugar baits them, they take it back to their home and the borax kills them.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 5:51 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Try the traps, if it doesn't work, call an exterminator.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:02 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Raid works wonders. I used to have problems with ants and when I got the raid finally it did the trick instantly for me. Spray the whole trail.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 6:10 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• We get ants every year. I spray around the outside of my house every two to three months from March to October.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:46 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• My aunt told me to wipe down my counters and the edges of the counters with vinegar once a day for 3 days....it worked for me...don't know the theory behind it though....It totally stinks, but it was safe in case the kids got curious and stuck their fingers in it...lol
    niknik78

Answer by niknik78 at 6:48 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• We've only had a few ants in the house & I normally fill a spray bottle with Dawn & some water, & they're gone.... It also works on fireant hills. =) Hubby taught me that one. (& its totally safe for Children & flowers. I grow roses & I use to get so pissed at my hubby for treating the ants with stuff that was harmful to the roses....... so his friend told him about the dawn.. one it drowns some of the ants, & second the ones who dont die, smell different when they go back inside the hill, so they all attack & fight & die....)
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 8:14 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• borax & powdered sugar
    pamnjim

Answer by pamnjim at 11:49 AM on Aug. 31, 2010