If you believe in a God/Goddess/Deity/Force of the Universe/Higher Power...

... What is the driving force behind your beliefs?

(other than childhood indoctrination- THAT I understand quite clearly)

Was there a 'Point of Arrival' or are your beliefs in constant motion, influenced by new information?

~To give a little background for those new to R&B, my family is comprised of many different religious paths ranging from Atheist (me), Pagan (generalizing- Its a broad spectrum), Messianic (3 of my siblings are 1/2 Jew), Fundamentalist Christian, Unitarian, Catholic, JW and Latter Day Saints... I come from a big family! :)

I am curious how people find their paths, since most of my family members have been raised as "Christians" of one denomination or another.

What about the religion you have chosen (not were indoctrinated with as a child, actually chosen) did you find the most comforting or appealing?

**Lets have fun & be civil please**

:)

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 7:01 AM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• good question and heres a bump for you
    san78

Answer by san78 at 7:07 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I used to be roman Catholic because my family pushed it on me. Don't get me wrong I still have similar beliefs but without god in my life I would find alot of things alot more dificult to understand and make sense of. When my daughter died it took alot of strength and my belief in god to get me through and make sense of it all. Alot of people use religion in that way. it's just a way to make sense of things most of the time in my eyes. To love something that is much greater than myself and go to church and come out happy just to hear the word of god is powerful in itself. Everyone is different and believes different things, but you most def need an open mind to understand religion period.
    AngelEyva

Answer by AngelEyva at 7:08 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• My parents are technically Hindu. But, they had us experience all religions when we were young. We even went to an evangelical chuch because my mom loved the pastor so much, until they told her she was going to hell for meditating. My mom let me go to temple with my jewish friend growing up, that was a neat experience. We also would go to buddhist meditation classes at this neat place in Cambridge, MA...wish i could remember the name, that place was so cool! My sister took more to Christianity, she loves Jesus. I, like my parents, took more to Hinduism. I've always had my doubts & questions though. I learned from a Buddhist monk that doubt & questions are good, it helps us figure things out.

My point of arrival came through an intense meditation. Becoming one with the cosmic OM vibration, is quite an intense spiritual experience, regardless if you believe in god or not.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:11 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• While I'm not sure if I fit into your question, I'll answer anyway to maybe help clear up misconceptions others may have about people who believe like me.
    I may be an Atheist, but I do feel we all share One energy of the Universe. We are all "One". We are all divine. It is within us all. I was raisded in a Lutheran Church despite my parents being Catholic. Once I became an adult, I learned to listen to the beat of my own heart. And that is the driving force of my own beliefs....about nature, the Universe, ourselves....all of it.

My heart and mind tell me what is good or bad, and the energy around me feeds me spiritually.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:20 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I was raised Christian. I have studied other religions and tried quite a few out myself. I suppose I am a Buddhist, though I don't like labels. I like the peacefulness that it has brought me. I used to suffer from a lot of guilt and going over past hurts over and over and over. I never had any inner peace, I was very stressed out. I finally found freedom from all of that with the practices of eastern philosophy, mostly within Buddhism. I also agree with the idea of reincarnation and a universal energy.I like the idea of a deity, but I'm ok with the idea there may not be one. I most definitely do not believe in a personal God. Sometimes I feel pantheistic. I chose my path because of the peace it brings to me,the focus on kindness, and mindfulness, living for today and not worrying about the future or after we die and that we are all connected. I am always open to knew ideas.

Nsbgirl

Answer by Nsbgirl at 7:33 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I don't... based on rationalization, logic, proof.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:42 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Even as young child I didn't believe in god, O I believed that maybe there was more then one, because honestly how did one, created everything. But I didn't find my path until I was 11ish. I was doing a report on the Salem Witch Burnings.... So I went to the library and asked the woman for some books on witchcraft, not thinking to tell her I needed them about The Salem Witches.... The books she showed me opened my eyes WIDE... It was everything I believed in, & more... So I went home & told my family I was going to be come a witch... My first stepfather didn't like this idea at all. My mother a year later met a wiccan man, so then she turned, as did my brothers. =)

lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 8:09 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I found my beliefs probably the same as you found yours. It's what I believe in, it feels right, trying to deny what I believe to be true doesn't work. I spend a lot of time thinking, reading and listening to others and I always come back to my own beliefs about God.  I did not grow up in a home that was very religious. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:16 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• My beliefs are a combo of what I have learned and what I have experienced. I am not a member of an organized church so in some people's eyes I am not Christian enough-but to me my beliefs bring me comfort, a moral compass and a sense of purpose. I am well aware that you can have these things without believing-but to me they go hand in hand. I would recommend The Shack to anyone that struggles to understand how anyone can believe-its a great book. Yes, it is banned in some churches and some believe that since God reveals as a large black woman that is sinful-but read it with an open mind-it may not change your mind, but it will help you understand why others do believe.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:39 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Oh and what is the main source of comfort- I like that I am not alone, that I have purpose and that my purpose is part of a larger plan. I like that hope and love are not in vain and that my life does not begin and end with me-but that my soul will live on after I am gone. I like the notion that all can be redeemed.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:42 AM on Aug. 31, 2010