Having horrible thoughts adult content

I am really ashamed to admit this. Sometimes I have horrible thoughts (pictures) about my daughter (21 months) getting hurt- throwing her out the window, falling down many flights of stairs, dropping her.... but I would never EVER hurt my daughter like that. I dont even know why I think those things. It makes me feel ashamed of myself and like a bad mom for just thinking about it. I read that it was normal for new moms with PPD, but why now? Im not at all unhappy with my life or my family. Whats the deal? Please dont say anything rude, Im just looking for advice/input.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:07 AM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Health

• I didn't have PPD, but would sometimes get similar thoughts. I never thought if hurting her myself, but i have had thoughts where she was taken, or if we got in a car wreck, or hurting herself real bad. Sometimes i would let my imagination run & think of horrible scary things that i was so paranoid of happening to her. I think it's normal to have those fears when becoming a mom.

Do you think of yourself hurting her purposely? Or are you thinking more along the lines like "what if i accidentally dropped her"? I think most moms run those scenarios over in their head. A mothers main objective is to protect our young. So, maybe we come up with these scenarios to prepare ourselves as in "what we would do" if something like that ever happened on accident.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:17 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• PPD can manifest in many ways, and it doesn't make you a bad mom- contrary, the fact that you realize something is wrong makes you a good mom!
    Your hormones will continue to shift over time, and mild PPD that was not treated early on can worsen as time progresses. Nothing to be ashamed of.

You absolutely should speak with someone, and perhaps that alone will be enough- if it's not, short term use of antidepressants will also help.

Having PPD does not mean you're unhappy with your life, it means you have a hormonal imbalance because of the MASSIVE changes your body just went through. Did you know that it takes an average of 5 years for a woman's body to fully recover from pregnancy and child birth- even longer for your hormones to return to normal if you were breastfeeding (breastfeeding also prevents PPD, and upon weaning a lot of women experience symptoms of depression).
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:13 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I am that same way sometimes but havent thought of anything like that in a while, and I too would never ever hurt one of my children, actually I tend to be a little OVER PROTECTIVE of them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Talk with your doctor immediately.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:49 AM on Aug. 31, 2010