what is good to do for an almost 5 yr old having bad nightmares?

its gotten to the point where he cries at bed time because he is scared to close his eyes. I feel so bad for him that i have taken to sleeping with him........any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks mommas!!

stacy1403

Asked by stacy1403 at 7:12 AM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My oldest daughter was the same. She'd wake up screaming and crying from the. I went out with her one day and bought her a teddy bear, but it was no ordinary bear. It became her protector from nightmares. I told her that all she had to do is hold the bear in her arms, give it a kiss and say "TeddyBear, TeddyBear Scare Away My Nightmares" when she was ready for bedtime. And seriously it worked. She didn't have anymore nightmares.
    Of course now she's much older, doesn't sleep with the teddy bear and understands that the nightmares aren't real. But it helped her get through the time that she needed it.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 7:25 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• @desertrose-that is an awesome idea!! thanks so much
    stacy1403

Comment by stacy1403 (original poster) at 8:06 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• all i can suggest is talking about them during the day, maybe dispelling some of his "scares" and see what would help... a night light? a flashlight?
    my 3 year old HAS to have the baby gate up in her door way... it keeps the monsters out "wink wink"...
    asil

Answer by asil at 10:49 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Flashlights a night light?
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 3:13 PM on Sep. 13, 2010