can i get my milk back

so because of an "incident" as a child i have issues with my breasts and i never told anyone so the idea of putting my child to my boob made me wanna cry so i chose formula. well she's a month old now and my milk completely dried up. i produced a lot to the point where it was like a faucet but it's all gone now. i came to terms with my issues and i at least wanna give my daughter a little BM a day so how do i get the milk back. please no links, i don't wanna read a whole article. i just want simple instructions

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:27 AM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• – collapse
    no u cant get it back, thats as far as i know.
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 7:29 AM on Aug. 31, 2010 (hidden) + expand

• unless you're willing to put forth the effort to do what is needed (becoming informed- through ingesting information, ie reading) there isn't anything any of us can do to help.

Rest assured that you have not completely "dried up", you're only a month postpartum and now is the easiest time to "Relactate". If you are truly interested, google it. I won't post any links since you asked me not to.

Good luck, I genuinely mean that- it sounds like you have her best interest at heart, and I hope you put forth the effort to succeed.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:31 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• fefe- that could not be more inaccurate. Even MEN can lactate...
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:32 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Put her to the breast everytime she cries, get a supplemental nursing system and use it everytime, go to the doctor and get meds to help.
    It is called relactating and even an adoptive mom can nurse her baby. I would suggest reading articles on it. It is hard work, but, can be done and is worth it. There is so much advice and instructions on things to try that I cannot type them all out here.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:32 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• You can talk to your doctor. It is possible.

Letting her suck at your breast will help your breasts "want" to produce milk. There are also herbs like fenugreek (you can get it at the health food store. It helps with lactation and will make your sweat & pee smell like maple syrup, haha). And if you talk to your doctor you may get a prescription for a medication called Reglan. Reglan is the drug they give adoptive mothers to make them lactate so they can BF their adopted baby!
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 9:00 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

•  

Yes you can and it's not hard.

There are two steps to relactation - getting the baby to take the breast and increasing supply. Put your baby near your breast and wait until the baby opens her mouth wide and quickly move the baby toward the breast. It's called rapid arm movement. If you want to increase you supply quickly you use an electric pump to pump one breast while the baby nurses the other breast. Nurse evey 2-3 hours.

http://www.kellymom.com/ is the best breastfeeing website. La Leche League Leaders will help you for free.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:28 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• You don't have to read, have a supplemental nursing system (SNS), take meds, drink teas, use herbs, or go to the doctor to nurse your baby. Doctors aren't trained in breastfeeding. It's not hard work. It can involve a lot of time at first.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:33 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Fenugreek may help. Also that Mother's Tea should help. But YES it is possible to re-lactate. And gailll is right you don't HAVE to do any of the reading or anything like that, but it CAN help the process. Contact your local La Leche League also. I'm sure they can offer up some help too.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:02 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• 1. Put baby to breast HOURLY. Evne through the night.

2. Drink water. 64 ounces per day.

3. Take fenugreek: 3000 mg daily.

4. Three to five cups Mother's Milk Tea daily.

That's as simple as I can make the regimen. but I REALLY strongly advise you to check out the kellymom.com information on relactation if you're serious about this. THose instructions WILL NOT ensure success. Increasing your knowledge WILL.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:38 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• By the way. The tea and the fenugreek are at ANY health food store.

And fefe... only way for milk to be GONE is for the breasts to be gone.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:40 AM on Aug. 31, 2010