We were in created in God's image, not from apes?

According to the Bible, we were created in God's image, therefore we cannot be evolved from a common ancestry with apes. The bible never really says we DON'T come from apes either.

Well I dunno, whose to say what God looks like? Maybe the big guy looks like a big gorilla for all we know? Who knows really?

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 7:37 AM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think it all comes down to how you interpret "in His image". I think it has more to do with our capacity to cultivate such virtues as compassion, graciousness, etc, (the things that make up His character, and that can make up our own) than it has to do with a physical imitation.

Given that, evolution is something that is reasonable. To be honest, even the idea that we somehow DO physically resemble Him doesn't mean that we couldn't have evolved. Perhaps its the end product, at the end of the evolutionary process, that is most like Him...

I don't believe the Adam and Eve story to be a literal telling of history, but instead is a metaphorical introduction of man into the Divine "story". It introduces us into His domain, in a way.... But I don't believe Adam or Eve actually existed.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:57 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I don't think He looks like anything- I think he can reveal Himself in anyway he decides- I see God in the wind and I feel him in the hope that comes out of no place. Our souls were made in his image-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:45 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• SCIENCE proves that we originated from Primates. We share closest DNA with Chimpanzees and Orangutans, not apes.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:44 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Yes. We just appeared on Earth. All those fossils and scientific evidence are fake. *eye roll*
    connorlove

Answer by connorlove at 5:28 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• TO each their own. Thats whats so great about living in a country that allows freedom of/from religion. We can all follow the spiritual path that speaks to our hearts.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:17 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• There's a few peeps in the bible that know what he looks like. Of course they are dead now so I guess it doesn't matter. However we do know what early humans may have looked like thanks the bones we have found. That kind of lends itself to the theory of a common ancestor between humans and apes.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:13 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Ok my bad not apes. LOL Hadn't had my Dr. Pepper yet when I posted that. Morning Beeky!!
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:08 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• they have found ape fossils, they have found human fossils. where are the fossils of the in between stage?   Right HERE

And I see the Big Bang has been brought up, as it always seems to make its way into the evolution threads. However, I must point out that evolution (the origin of species) is biology and the big bang (the origin of the universe) is cosmology.

I personally believe in a creator-led evolution. As for being created "in God's image" I believe that to be in the sense of spiritual connectedness not in a physical sense.

KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 10:36 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

•  it's like putting a broken watch in a bag and shaking it for millions of years...you really think the watch will fix itself into perfect working order?

Wrong analogy!  It's more like baking a cake.  You put all the right ingredients together, give it a good mix then heat it.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:05 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Evolution and Creation are NOT mutually exclusive! There is no reason that Evolution could very easily have been the TOOL used by the Gods to aid creation...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:02 PM on Aug. 31, 2010