Could this be why

many of our children aren't learning? We have become so complacent in our society about questioning and correcting those that are supposedly above us. For instance a child that knows the English language better then most adults. Are they suppose to let a teacher keep making the same mistakes or point them out so others can learn? Or the child who just doesn't get the math. Then asks for the teacher to explain again. Only to have the teacher explain it the same way, in sarcastic tones. Then there's the child who sees a discrepancy in something the teacher said about history,etc. Are they not suppose to question? For with questions a child learns. Yes it does happen and has been for years.

oldermomof5

Asked by oldermomof5 at 8:17 AM on Aug. 31, 2010 in

• I got marked down on a paper for THREE spelling mistakes.... by my ENGLISH teacher. When I corrected her (this was only about 6 years ago as well in high school) she stated that she had been an English teacher for longer than I had been alive and she KNEW she wasn't wrong.... so being the smartass I am I went and got a Dictionary and showed her how to spell the words appropriately. RFLMFAO! She threatened to write me up for insubbordnation and I threatened to have her teaching license revoked because she was a moron. We agreed to disagree.
    I had an advanced math teacher treat me like an idiot for asking about Algebra 1 which I was learning in the 6-7th grade and didn't understand. I quit the class and was embarassed and STILL can't do Algebra 1 because I feel ridiculed when I try.
    I think society took a turn for the worse years ago and worry for my children who are now starting school. :(
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 8:29 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• LOL...I agree with you. As you know.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:29 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Memgen. I asked because I have seen this again and again. Our Daughter had a Math teacher try to do the same thing to her. She was told that this wasn't middle school they weren't there to hold their hands. DD Looked right the teacher and said I don't want you to Hold my hand I want you to teach me. I didn't understand it the first because you didn't explain thorough enough for me to understand, and I'm not the only one. So explain again. The teacher told her to go the Dean of students office. DD went right down with half the class and explained what happened. The teacher was the one who was reprimanded and lost her position the next year.

oldermomof5

Comment by oldermomof5 (original poster) at 8:47 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• All kids learn differently. Some are visual, some auditory, others learn by working through problems themselves. As adults, we face communication obstacles, we learned how to handle those as young adults. If a child is having a hard time understanding from a teacher, they should ask their peers, a tutor, their parents, etc. It's not fair to assume that a teacher is going to have the style of teaching that a child needs 100% of the time, the real world doesn't work like that.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:50 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• The best teachers do rephrase the answer. They will even ask what part didn't you understand. They do want all the students to understand. if one has a question you can bet that there are at least three others that didn't get it. Unfortunately it has become the norm for the teacher to ridicule the student for their own short comings. This has also spilled over to the work place. Bosses not explaining so others can understand. The point is no wonder children get to the place where they hate school and don't question therefore, stop learning.

oldermomof5

Comment by oldermomof5 (original poster) at 10:00 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• You are probably right. The ego of teachers is really big sometimes.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 10:55 AM on Aug. 31, 2010