Am I being ridiculous?

My 9 year old daughter came home from school yesterday crying because she was the only one in her class that didn't have a cell phone. (I bet!) I just watched the clip from Good Morning America and they said that CafeMom said the average age is 13. I told her that she can have a cell phone at 13 but only when she's not at home. Meaning if she goes away, she takes the cell phone...otherwise the phone stays with us. At 16, or whenever she gets a car and is driving, she may have the phone at all times.

Is that being ridiculous? Am I wrong in trying to keep my child a CHILD?

Born2BAMommy5

Asked by Born2BAMommy5 at 8:18 AM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• No you are completely RIGHT mom! Dont let those crocodile tears sway you! Let her know how lucky she is to be living in a nice house, plenty of food, the freedom and ability to go to school....when those basic rights are taken away....THEN she can cry!!!!

Parents are such big pushovers these days. I saw a couple in the phone store the other day while I was getting a new phone...the little boy who was no older than 7 or 8 himself was rolling...YES ROLLING around on the floor behind them...they were buying him a phone...the mom sounded embarrassed by admitting this and started making excuses about how he was starting to spend the night away from home more and more....uggggg....is he going to houses with no phone service???? Sick!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:22 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I think that's a personal choice each parent has to make and if that is the age you are saying you want her to get a cell phone - perfect. My niece got her first butterfly one at 6 ( which I think is insane) but I tend to think and see that most kids at 10 already all have one - at least the ones in our neighborhood
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 8:23 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• NO! There is NOTHING wrong with that! I didn't have a cell phone until I was old enough to buy one. My mom and her moms, etc NEVER had one growing up and OMG! They're still ALIVE! lol

My neice has an MP3 player, portable DVD player, cell phone, digital camera, etc.... and she is 10. I am 25 and don't even have that stuff. Give me a BREAK! Kids don't need all these distractions. Maybe for emergency purposes a pre-paid cell phone is the only thing I see acceptable for a child.

My kids won't have one until they are old enough to respect and properly use a cell phone.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 8:24 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• No, if that is how you choose to raise your child then that is your business. I'm sure there are a few of her friends that have them but not many, especially at that age. I have a different view of cell phones... I like my kids to have them so when they are not with me (other than school) that I can have instant communication with them. They are not allowed to play with them and use them unless they are away from me and the house. My 17 yr old is free to do whatever with her's but my 11 yr old can only use it with restrictions. Luckily enough, she doesn't even care about it, YET. lol
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 8:24 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• No you're not. there is no need for a child to have access to a cell phone 24/7. Or their own private one. While we do have a tracphone which is labeled kids phone for all the boys. It's just for when they are out in the neighborhood. If they are going in different directions then one gets Mom's phone. Other then that I keep it.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 8:25 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• i told my daughter that she couldn't have a phone until she was 13 when she was in k. there were five kids in her class that had phones. i just told her she had to get good grades and when she turned 13 she might get a phone, depends on what was going on. but these were the same kids that were teasing her cuz her dad worked three jobs. you just gotta sit down and explain it to her. show her your bill, and ask her how she plans to pay it. then add stuff to her chore list. tell her if she's responable enough for all this then you'll think about it. but make sure she knows she has to prove herself for a year or two. hope this helps.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 8:28 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• My 6 year old has been begging for me to get her a cell phone, not because everyone else has one but because she is convinced she needs it!!! I sat her down and explained to her that even though her older sis(10) has one(to keep in touch in case something happens at school or on the school bus; I get nervous when the bus is late), that it is nothing personal but I do not think she is mature enough to handle a cellphone. I also point out to her that both she and big sis are in the moment; so the cell phone can easily be lost and or forgotten, and forgotten to be charged. I get on my oldest daughter about not needing the cellphone for the reasons just mentioned and inform them that they are both too immature for a cell phone. My oldest daughter gets it, but my darling 6 yr old wants to hash it out. I do not go by age, I go by maturity. You run your household, no one else can or will; so ultimately its your call!!!! GL & BW
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 8:34 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• No you are not!! Just because everyone else is doing it doesnt mean you have to! I think only if she away from you should your daughter need a cell phone My 8 year old is not going to get a cell phone anytime soon she doesnt need one
    Truelove77

Answer by Truelove77 at 8:36 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• LOL Manipulation begins......Just tell her that she doesn't need to worry with everyone else having phones she will always have one to borrow in am emergency. Keep your humor and learn to laugh at it all.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 9:24 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• my kids are 14 and going on 17 and do not have cell phones- occasionally I will let them use mine if they will be at a friends house with no land line or something but no- I don't understand why they need one of their own
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:31 AM on Aug. 31, 2010