Are you kidding?

I just ran 15 minutes on the treadmill and it told me that I burned a whole 79 calories!

No wonder losing weight is so discouraging! I'm gonna go get some pills!

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 8:27 AM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• HaHA! Im right there with ya. But you need to look at all the factors. How much do you weigh? Someone heavier than you will burn more calories. Throw in some strength training as well as cardio. Do you fidgit? If you dont, you may want to....People who fidgit burn 300 to 800 calories a day. Fidgit ALOT! LoL. There iis alot you can do besides hitting the treadmill. I used to use my treadmill as my primary source of exercise. I noticed I was more discouraged and disappointed once I was done. I stopped counting how many calories im LOSING and focused on WHAT IM EATING.

Hang in there... Losing weight SUCKS (LoL) But its worth it!

Good luck
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 9:54 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Yep, doesn't burn many calories at all. The biggest factor in weight loss is eating. BUT working out helps build muscles which in turn makes your body a better fat burning machine.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 8:29 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Weight lifting will get you better results - cardio is good for the heart and lungs however when you build your muscle up - muscle burns fat faster than cardio does. Don't give up - you will see results!
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 8:45 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• its so frustrating isn't it... hey at least you did it though - good job..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 8:34 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Not saying you burned tons more than that, but you can't go by a blanket number from a machine. Calories burned depends entirely on your body size and how much of you is muscle mass vs fat. A larger person can easily burn twice the calories of a smaller one doing the same activity, and no machine can allow for that.  This can give you a rough idea of the difference your size/composition can make:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise/SM00109

And that's still just generalized, not accounting for the difference in muscle.  Don't do the pills, though - they don't work and you'll just gain it all back.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:38 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• OP-
    I am 35 yrs old, 115 lbs and 5'1".... I just ran a 5K- 3.1 miles.... I burned about 400 calories. I have a bodybugg so I know the exact amount of calories that I burn every minute of the day....

You need to workout longer than 15 minutes for it to be effective! In order to lose weight efficiently and effectively you should get your heart rate up continuously for no less than 30 minutes at each workout. Period.

Don't go for the pills....bleh! Keep working out and eat well and it'll happen...if you need help, let me know. I've lost over 50 lbs and 42" in 9 months. I've gone from 167 lbs and a size 12 to 115 lbs and a size 1 in juniors.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 3:37 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Don't do the pills. They are so dangerous. Keep up the work and don't pay so much attention to the numbers. Work hard and soon your clothes will be sliding down the hips.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 8:53 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• If you truly are dedicated to losing weight and living healthy then this site can help. The pills are just a quick fix that are going to cause more frustration in the long run when the weight comes back.
    SparkPeople.com: Get a Free Online Diet
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 12:51 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Besides... that's 79 calories you LOST! :) Think positive!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 12:52 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Thanks!
    Jademom07

Comment by Jademom07 (original poster) at 8:36 AM on Aug. 31, 2010