Do you find you can't dine out as often as you use to?

We can hardly eat out at all any more. My husband has been laid off 1 /12 yrs, is a senior, and unemployment ran out. He's still looking bec he really doesn't want to retire, but soon he's gonna have to I guess, we still have bill to pays.

MyAngel003

Asked by MyAngel003 at 8:31 AM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Eating out is a luxury. If you can't afford it you can't afford it. My husband and I rarely go out and if we do we have a coupon to get so much off of two entrees or buy one get one free deal.
    sweettigeress

Answer by sweettigeress at 8:52 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• For us it's not so much a case of necessity anymore. We gave up eating out a long time ago, and now when we do, we're usually unhappy with it. 9 times out of 10, whatever we get, we can make better at home, for far less money. We noticed last time we decided to stop for breakfast while we were out - hated the coffee, fake butter on the table, hated the food, and realized we have that conversation a lot when we go out these days. It's even more disappointing because we don't go out that often, I think we have far higher expectations for our money now.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:34 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• We like to eat at home too. I'm a really good cook, and service is just terrible a lot of places anymore.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:52 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• We are able to eat out as much as ever but the national shake up made us re-evaluate many of our habits.We still eat out as a family once a week during the weekend and my husband and I try to get out at least twice a month with out kids.What we have totally tossed is the eating out during the week.To spend 50 -75 dollars on a quick pushed meal is just a waste for us.If I just can't get to my menu meal I get to costco buy a rotisserie chicken and pull the rest together.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 2:09 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Well, I didnt usually dine out, but with the babies now, I cont dine out or go for an evening with DH. (They are 1 week old)
    janieishappy

Answer by janieishappy at 8:38 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Yeah, now that we have a son. We used to eat out ALL the time before we had him, and now we don't. Plus DH has college loans which are huge payments.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:23 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• When we first got married, we ate out a lot but soon realized just how expensive and how unhealthy it was so we cut way back. Fast forward 25 years to today ... we do go out to eat as a family somewhat regularly and for special occassions but I'd like to cut back even more because we just feel better when we eat at home.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 9:48 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I haven't been out to dinner in 5 years.... my husband hasn't taken me out alone in 17 years... I think I have forgotten what it would be like to have someone else cook for me.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 9:59 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• We dont eat out allot because here in SC the food safty standards dont really get enforced. Your gamblimg with your life to eat at most of the places here. ESPICALLY the chineese buffets.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:33 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• The budget won't allow us to eat out as often as we did in the past.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 11:44 PM on Aug. 31, 2010