How much freedom do you give your kids at the park?

We recently went to a birthday party for a four year old, there was about 20 kids and just as many parents if not more. All the kids were 5 and under, the play area was not easy to see from the pavilion and my dh and I were amazed at how many of the parents were more interested it catching up so to speak than watching the kids. We are always with the kids and have been told that we are over protective, but to not even no your kid was at the other side of a soccer field seems crazy to us. Just wondering if your kid are at a public park for a birthday party would you let them out of your sight at this age?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:37 AM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Well me and my husbnd sound like you and yours.. although we are told we are over protective too - I was told by someone i work with that she couldn't believe I wouldn't let my son play by himself outside while I was inside my house - he is turning 3 in nov... really>??? Alone in the yard at 3 ?? I don't know, I guess I am forever shocked how little parents WANT to spend time with their kids also -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 8:39 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I try to always keep my son in sight. While I didn't hover over him, he was always in sight, & If I had to turn my back or go somewhere else, Id ask someone else too keep an eye out on him.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 8:39 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I stay within about 5-10 feet of the kids. They are (almost) 5 and 3 1/2. You never know when they could fall and hurt themselves or some crazy person may want a new kid!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 8:42 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• We're the same way. I like to know where they are and what they're doing and my SO is the same. As long as we can see them, it's all good and if I can't see them then I look for them till I find them.

I see it as being cautious. "Better Safe Than Sorry"
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 8:43 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I always stand in the area where they are playing, if they move, I move. If someone wants to talk to me, they will come stand next to me to talk.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:58 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• We didn't let our children out of our sight, and when we are responsible for watching the grandchildren, we don't let them out of our sight either. There are simply too many perverts and things can happen too quickly to not be constantly vigilant. So I say keep doing what you've been doing.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:59 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• "Okay. Don't eat rocks. Don't throw rocks. Don't push people down. GO PLAY!"
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 9:03 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• As long as I can see them, then they're fine. Most of the parks in my area have a fence around the play area, and a single gate in or out... park myself nearest that, and they go play. That's what the park is for. I've never understood "helicopter" parents who climb on the equipment, or feel the need to constantly be near their child.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:24 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• All of our parks are barely off a road (no gates or fences) and some of them are very busy roads. (6-lane divided, etc.) so NO, he doesn't play without me watching him. My son is 3.5 and until he convinces me that he has no desire to go into the street (which he does) and can protect himself from predators (which he can't) and can control himself at all times (meaning no fits, sharing, no hitting), then I will continue to watch carefully.

I think that "maybe" the ones who don't watch their kids are depending on other siblings, cousins, family to do it. I watch ALL the kids since I am watching mine anyway. I only have the one, and he's only 3. Sue me. :)

And ObbyDobbie, sometimes I am climbing the equipment to make sure that my child doesn't hurt your child. LOL.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:35 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Def not out of your site..My children journey off at the park on there own but I can still see what they are doing they never leave my site.. Go ahead and let him play but just keep a eye on him withouht seeming overprotective
    mamaof3kiddoz

Answer by mamaof3kiddoz at 9:35 AM on Aug. 31, 2010