What is the best spray to use to get rid of bugs and keep them out of the home?

We recently moved into a new home. Since day one we have noticed that there are big roches (UGH! *barf* I KNOW!) coming in the house from outside. They stay pretty much in the kitchen. We can't find anything that would be causing them to be attracted to the house unless it was the previous tenants.
What spray can I use to keep them out of the house?

I'm paranoid to sit anything on my counters, I'm paranoid to put my baby down for tummy time even if it is on a blanket because he is becoming more and more mobile every day, I'm scared I'm going to find bugs in my kids beds or my bed or our clothes, etc.

PLEASE!! Which is the best brand of bug spray to use or is this a professional job?

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 8:40 AM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I've heard that spreading Seven dust outside around your home will help. Most likely these are the ones coming into your home looking for water. YUCK! I hate those things!!!!
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 8:42 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• i don't know a spary, but i know of a powder. the nursery sales this stuff that lasts for six months and believe me it works! we did just what you did that year. we didn't buy it this year so we have ants, luckly only ants! but it takes care of about 100 bugs and roaches are the number one. kills on contact, seen that first hand with a cricket. sprinkle it around the house. its water proof too. it seeps down into the siol to kill them at their nest. hope this helps.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 8:44 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Seven or Sevin, not sure how it's spelled. I think they have it at any home improvement store.

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 8:44 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• My mother's house was seriously infested with bugs, she went online and found Demon WP Insecticide bought it and applied it everywhere in her house. That was 5 years ago and to this day she has no bugs.

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/demon-wp-insecticide-p-74.html

DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 8:47 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• We have our house professionally treated once a year, and we see hardly any bugs or spiders. The cost is about $85 a year, which I think is well worth the price.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:56 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• COMBAT GEL It works here great..
    pamnjim

Answer by pamnjim at 11:48 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Call Pest Contol!
    BradensMom1026

Answer by BradensMom1026 at 2:47 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• we are having this same problem we have tried everything known to man to try and we recently caved an hired a professional we just did our first treatment and now they are running everywhere " YUCK" bugs freak me out so I called them back they said they are t aking the risidual pesticides back to the colony and killing off the others. they are scheduled to come back in 2 weeks and then every month I cant stand bugs but our double wide is in a lot that sits right beside the dirtiest trailer park in history. so they travel form place to place. Yay me right. good luck
    brittanybell

Answer by brittanybell at 3:10 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I am also worried about powders because I have a 5 year old and a 3 year old who play outdoors (supervised)... I don't want them to accidentally touch something they aren't supposed to. And when the baby becomes more mobile I don't want him to get into anything.
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 8:46 AM on Aug. 31, 2010