i know this is a hot debte topic but i just need to know what i should be giving my daughter

When she turns ones, what should she be drinking and how much of it? I have heard cow's milk is best, then I heard its bad. I've heard low fat milk, juice water... I really have no clue what she should be drinking and how much of it she should be getting. The pedi tells me milk but then I hear that milk is not good for them and to substitute it with other dairy products in the form of food. I'm not sure if this helps but she is in the 90% for her weight.

samantha21385

Asked by samantha21385 at 8:41 AM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Water mostly, 2 cups of half juice/half water max(real fruit is better), 16oz max of dairy and that includes milk, cheese, yogurt and the like, she can have Almond, rice or hemp milk instead of cow milk. She can and should get calcium and vitamin D from veggies such as Kale and other green leafy vegetables.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:44 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• The FDA reccomends 2% milk and diluted juice (half water and half 100% juice - juicy juice). Also after she brushes her teeth at night she should get only water.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 8:44 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I wouldn't do Juicy Juice...it is apple juice no matter what flavor you buy.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:45 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• They actually don't NEED milk -she can get all the calcium she needs from fruits and veggies - and also juice is full of sugar -not sure why people think we need to give that to our kids either - my son LOVES water and will pick that over anything else... I agree with the rice milk to use also when you need to.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 8:47 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• give her what ever you want! don't listen to any one who says we found this out.. because two years ago eggs were the best, now they are the worst. what ever is good now, will be bad for tomorow. thats the way things work! a glass of wine helps the heart at night. now it puts you in danger. even wic conterdicts themselves.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 8:48 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• My son, at my pediatrician's recommendation, gets 2 cups of milk (we switched from whole to 2% at 18 months and will be switching to skim at 2 years) and then water. Juice he gets as a treat once or twice a week (diluted half/half with water). It's good to get them used to drinking water - it's the healthiest thing they can drink!

Answer by missanc at 8:48 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• No, Juicy Juice is NOT apple juice no matter what flavour you buy. I would know.... I and my 3 year old are allergic to apple juice. And she can drink the other juices as well as can I. They have Strawberry Kiwi, Punch, Cherry, Grape, etc.
    Somethign tell sme that if they were only selling apple juices they wouldn't be in business as long as they have been nor would they be the biggest selling juice on the market along with being recommended by the local WIC department.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 8:49 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• My kids get water during the day and whole milk in the morning. Doctors recommend switching to 2% milk but, my kids are of a healthy weight so, I don't see a reason for it. The children get juice if we are out to eat and the options are juice or soda. If you are on WIC they will provide to you want the government wants your child to have.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:02 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• My son's doctor recommended whole milk until the age of 2. 3 cups a day. (one with each meal) Water or diluted juice otherwise. She says you should switch them to 2% after that. However my son is a shrimp so he is still on whole milk. Every one has their own opinion you need to do what is right. There is no rule book for raising our kids and there is nothing that says you have to raise your kids by the the book.
    CLewis1226

Answer by CLewis1226 at 9:14 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• My kids drank whole milk for a long time. The whole milk isn't for the calcium, it's for myelin development in the BRAIN. People are such friggen nazi's these days about what to and what not to give a child. Listen to your ped, that's the ONLY opinon that matters
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:19 AM on Aug. 31, 2010