Question about ultrasound ordered after mammogram results...

My gynocologist always orders an ultrasound after reading the results of my latest mammograms due to dense breast tissue. He says it should be nothing to worry about, but anyone have experience with this and what I should be looking for or asking the dr. about these tests? It is the second yr. I have gone through both the mammogram and then an ultrasound.

minasmama6

Asked by minasmama6 at 8:47 AM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Health

• In the past, the physician would order the US, or any other test as recommended on the summary by the reading radiologist. Your physician does not read your film, or request tests (routinely) because of the results. The result will report the findings, the suggestions and overall summary. Most likely, you have an area the radiologist is not able to make a definite reading on and will correlate the US radiological findings with what he thinks it is and go from there.

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:56 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I don't think you have anything to worry about. Your doc said that they ordered the U/S because your breast tissue is dense. That doesn't mean anything is wrong. They just want to take every possible precaution to make sure they find any problems as soon as possible. Because you have dense tissue, different tests are needed to check you and make sure you're all good. :)
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 8:55 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Honestly, I would not be that worried about it. I had to have a breast biopsy for a fibroid tumor in my breast. I was scared to death, but they explained to me then, that if a woman's breast tissue is dense, a mammogram just will not show what they need to see correctly. An ultrasound gives them a much more accurate view.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 9:27 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• It's happened to me a few times as well ... my breasts are dense and sometimes the doc wants another look via ultrasound. I personally don't understand why they just wouldn't do the ultrasound first and skip the mammo but ...
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 9:37 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• If you trust your Dr. and that is what he says. Believe it! I don't want it to be anything! Good thing is you're going in regularly and are being checked out carefully. Let's hope for the Best!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 9:22 PM on Aug. 31, 2010