Does anyone else get sad at their childs birthday?

My daughter will be 1 on sunday. 1. that means in 17 years she is going to be going off to college, leaving me.
I am SO excited, she has grown so much.
But I just want to pause life and keep her like this sometimes

gottalovemal

Asked by gottalovemal at 8:48 AM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• So many emotions at once. Proud of her, loving seeing her grow and develop, happy that she's smart, heathy, strong and beautiful and yes, sad because I miss the baby in my arms even though I love the girl, little lady she is. I guess this is the wonder of being a parent, being able to see the past and present together in your child.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 8:57 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Every year.....
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 8:49 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• i dont get sad, its more that i get shocked on how the year passed by so fast. and how they grow. and that one day will come. but when they become teenagers they'll annoy us and we'll want the day faster, lol. so look at it that way, my mom told me that.
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 8:51 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• my son was horribly hard as a baby so I didn't get sad at 1 or 2 but he is turning 3 now and it does tear me up - he's learning at such a fast pace and everyday he comes up with new things..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 8:54 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Glenn's 2. I have gotten sad for 2 years in a row now, and I'm sure it's going to get worse every year. I know how you feel!
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 8:56 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Yes... and when they say those cute little things like my youngest calls everyone "you silly!"

I know that soon she will outgrow this and won't do it anymore so I try to laugh and enjoy it every time I hear it.

Or like when my now almost 5 year old counts to 30 with the skipped 25, 29 and the addition of the newest number on the market thirty-ten. Lol.

They just grow up entirely too fast!

Sometimes I wish I was famous so someone would get paid to record every moment of our waking lives so that I could have it to reflect back on later in life. :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 8:57 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• The only one I actually get sad about is my DD that was killed when she was 20. But we still have a cake honoring her life. We also want to have her son to grow remember her some what by keeping her alive in his heart, but it is a sad day for the entire family.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 9:05 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• My oldest will be 5 in december and I have cried ..NO Bawled like a baby at everyone of his birthdays the same with my two year old. Its natural.
    mamaof3kiddoz

Answer by mamaof3kiddoz at 9:33 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I honestly don't. Every year is a milestone, I love reflecting on the previous year and all they've accomplished.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:37 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• No-every year they turn older means that they go through something new that I have yet to experience with them. I have a 8.5 yr old, a 20 month old and one on the way...
    AnasMommy7

Answer by AnasMommy7 at 9:47 AM on Aug. 31, 2010