I need help with a pincher!

One of my 21 month old twins is sooooo mean! She pinches everyone...her twin sister, her older siblings, the kids at daycare, even adults. And for no apparent reason, she will just randomly walk up to another kid and pinch them, or will be sitting next to one of my other kids on the couch and just reach over and give them a pinch. We were having issues with biting, I nipped that but now she has started pinching and I can't seem to break her of it. Any ideas?

mirandaandkbcc

Asked by mirandaandkbcc at 11:22 AM on Oct. 11, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When she pinches someone then pinch her back! IF she pinches her siblings let them pinch her right back!
    honeys_sugamama

Answer by honeys_sugamama at 12:14 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I agree with the first poster! But, just like biting them back to get them to stop biting, don't try to get this point across in the middle of Walmart!
    mmmommy0207

Answer by mmmommy0207 at 12:29 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• An eye for an eye a tooth for a tooth
    that NEVER works because it always causes problems. I bet since she is a twin it has somthing to do with attention craving, why not try spending more time with her.
    When she pinches somone take her away from the group and talk to her one on one, she may be little but she is still a person if anything. I personally dont like this idea but smacking the fingers or oven mits tapes to a long sleeved shirt will break the habit eventually.
    Good Luck
    Bugaloo615

Answer by Bugaloo615 at 1:32 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I know that it sounds mean, but have everyone she pinches, pinch her back. It was the only thing that worked on my daughter. After a couple times of getting pinched back she realised it hurt, and didn't do it again.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 5:54 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I agree pinch her back. I had a biter and her daddy broke her of that by biting her back. Once they figure out it hurts and if they do it to someone it will be done back to them they stop doing it
    GFXMommy

Answer by GFXMommy at 5:56 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• You have beautiful twins! Do you dress them matching?
    GFXMommy

Answer by GFXMommy at 6:00 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Thanks for the response everyone! I tried biting my oldest back to get her to stop biting and it didn't work, so I haven't been real keen on trying the pinching back method. BUT I also don't know what else to do, I've told her no in a firm voice several times (like a thousand!) and I've tried tapping her on the hand, the twins being toddlers are more demanding so I think they are getting plenty of attention-sad to say they probably get more than the older 2. Hmmm...Guess I'll do what I gotta do.
    Oh and GFXMommy-thank you! yes I do dress them to match most days, and if they don't match they at least coordinate-ya know same shirt different color or the like. :)
    mirandaandkbcc

Answer by mirandaandkbcc at 9:27 PM on Oct. 11, 2008