Direct Sales... how do you get people to host a party when you start out?

If you sell a product for a direct sales company (Lia sophia, pampered chef, etc)... how do you find people besides friends & family to host parties? I want to start selling something it but none of my friends or family (besides my mom) want to host a party. How can I find other people (strangers, etc) to host a party? I'm a SAHM, so I don't have any co-workers either.

Himomma

Asked by Himomma at 4:28 PM on Jun. 30, 2008 in Money & Work

• I give out my cards, samples, make small talk to anyone and everyone. And make it a contest (aka first person to have a party w/"X" amount of ppl gets this special gift/offer
    cajunjenn

Answer by cajunjenn at 5:19 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• Make it fun. I am an Arbonne consultant and people are much more responsive to the idea of having a Spa party where they get to be pampered and soak their feet and have facials or have mother daughter pajama parties and try out fun lotions and makeup etc. Also mom day out parties are a hit. Incentives definately help. Arbonne is set up to give host's $100 worth of product of their choice for only $20 for every $250 in sales their party brings in so I can easily pay the $20 if I want and they can get that product for free. There are also special host products they can get at reduced prices. I like to make up flyers with the benefits of being a host along with different party options that I can give out with free samples etc. Also if guests really have fun at your parties they will want to schedule parties of their own. Hope this helps give you some ideas. Ask me if you would like any more information. I will do my best to help.
    rasbneon

Answer by rasbneon at 10:39 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• I did an Open House. I invited all my neighbors, friends, my kids friends parents. I also offered an incentive to anyone who brought 3 or more guests with them. Once I explained the hostess benefits I had a couple sign up. And then it went from there.
    SensualScents

Answer by SensualScents at 9:57 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• Join a local networking group. I made a huge amount of sales when I became a member of a leads club. Open houses, craft shows, email newsletters, pass out samples, have logo on your car, do catalog parties - those are awesome for me!
    Candles_1234

Answer by Candles_1234 at 7:36 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• Call your local MOPS/Mothers/women's groups and ask them to have you in for a demo of something like "kid friendly snacks and family dessert" for the ladies OR ask about this: MOPS does a "craft" and if you can help them make one dessert for that night, it would be fun for them. They usually pay a few dollars to do the craft so the group will reimburse you for your "materials" and tell you ahead how many people to expect. At that time, you can give out a flyer and ask them to fill out a card regarding interest in products/hosting a party etc. then follow up with their phone numbers. If you are outgoing, you can join the local chamber of commerce and ask about networking openings. You can go to meetings and exchange business cards, referrals, services. Word of mouth is good too. Would your friends/family at least each let ten people know you are doing direct sales? Good luck.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 9:41 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• One other thought: There is a woman where I work who has an avon business. She leaves books for every department in the building to look at, takes orders by phone and then delivers in person. I have also seen this done in hospital employee lounges and in school faculty lounges. People do alot of browsing when they are lunching. You can just leave book and if you get some orders, ask them about doing a party. Good luck.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 9:45 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• My suggestion is to find a business that is new...I think that sometimes people get tired of doing parties because they feel that they have "been to them all". I work with a wonderful home business called Once Upon A Family.

I help to change families, build relationships and create lasting connections. Plus, since it's newer (5 years), it's an AMAZING ground floor opportunity to do something that has real meaning. Let me ask you this...people can always say "No, I don't wear make-up" or "I can get those same candles at XYZ store for less."...but can you ever imagine anyone saying "No, I don't think I could use some FUN, SIMPLE and CREATIVE ways to have lasting impact on my family and loved ones." can you?

Check out my website at www.thelegacyoffamily.com or send me a message for more information.

~Amanda
    Wildmom315

Answer by Wildmom315 at 5:09 AM on Jul. 30, 2008

• I just returned from the National Conference for Tastefully Simple and learned so much about this topic. This is what I learned. Talk about your business with everyone! If someone were to ask you about your kids you could probably talk a lot...when someone asks what you do answer them!!! Don't say I am a stay at home mom and leave it at that...tell them about your business! The other tip that I can give you is that you are your best advertisement. Wear logowear whenever you can and always have your cards and catalogs with you. Get out into the community and talk to everyone who will listen!!!
    HeidiConnell

Answer by HeidiConnell at 3:27 PM on Aug. 19, 2008