Thumb Sucker

My daughter is 17 months and i really want to stop her thumb sucking. I get on to her during the day but i feel really bad when she's trying to go to sleep and needs it. I've tried to put some stuff on her thumb but she sucks it off now. Any ideas?

kinzleysmommy

Asked by kinzleysmommy at 11:45 AM on Oct. 11, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• As an older mothr and the mother of a thumb sucker, you can't get a child to stop until they are ready to. I have never met any mother who has been able to "cure" their child of sucking their thumb. I have tried it all.

I have said it's bed time, and off you go.
    Every time I see it, he has to wash his hands, hoping that it would get him to stop a bit
    Spaghetti boxes and pringles cans over the arms
    Socks, mittens, gloves
    Thumz stuff from the drug store
    Tabasco or vinegar since it tastes bad

My son still sucks his thumb. I have had this battle for YEARS. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• My son is 18 months and loves his thumb. So I am curious to see what everyone is going to say. You are not alone!! Except, I have done nothing to stop it or even tried. lol
    MamiSanford

Answer by MamiSanford at 12:12 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I talked to my pedi about her sucking her tumb, and she said at this age it is actually more of a comfort thing with teething and what not, what you could try that i've read on here is a lil' of hotsauce or something you know she dont' like
    Brooklynn8107

Answer by Brooklynn8107 at 12:12 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I would just say that thumb sucking is for sleepy kids and if they suck they have to go to bed. let them suck at night. if you can break the day time sucking the night will take care of its self
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 12:15 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• at this age its a comfort thing but if they get older and are still doing it tell them about the thumb fairy...lol kinda like the tooth fairy but a thumb fairy. she will bring whoever stops sucking there thumb a very special prize while they are sleeping and it really works believe me it works!!!!! the kids love that! and it really motivates them to stop
    babykins362003

Answer by babykins362003 at 3:23 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• HOT SAUCE!!! Tabasco or anyother liquid hot sauce. All you have to do is put a little bit on the tip of the thumb. It will not hurt them.
    GFXMommy

Answer by GFXMommy at 5:34 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• She will out grow it. Just remind her during the day, and leave her alone at night.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 5:47 PM on Oct. 11, 2008